Parent-Clone Relationship

General No-Intro related discussions.
Powerpuff
Datter

Parent-Clone Relationship

Post by Powerpuff » 19 Jan 2009 17:51

I was just wondering why in merged mode GBA BIOS Files are merged while NDS ones are splited.

kazumi213
High Council

Re: Parent-Clone Relationship

Post by kazumi213 » 19 Jan 2009 20:07

Both NDS BIOSes are used in a commercial DS console, while the GBA ones are alternative dumps, the actual one used in commercial GBA consoles (all models) being the "TS2".

EDIT: The correct way would be list the NDS BIOSes as a multifile archive.

Powerpuff
Datter

Post by Powerpuff » 19 Jan 2009 22:38

Thanks for your explainations. :)

Rikki-tikki-tavi

Post by Rikki-tikki-tavi » 22 Jan 2011 11:19

Couldn't find this information anywhere, so sorry if the question is a noob one.

Why a European ROM is always a parent? Is that because it is the latest one released? And does that mean it is preferable to, say, USA ROM? I used to think european ones are usually more heavily censored because of censorship issues. Is the rule true for NDS? Or should one prefer european ROMs?

kiddocabbusses

Post by kiddocabbusses » 25 Jan 2011 18:40

I don't really know much on Parent-clone relationships or how they're decided.

I believe that it goes back to MAME, where Euro-region ROMs were always the parent because the MAME project itself originated there (if I remember right). I myself didn't get it - aren't most of these games Japanese or American?
Logically, I thought the "parent" would either be the first chronological release, the release in the origin country, or the "definitive" version of the game. Only in a select few instances there would the European-region ROMs qualify.

(For reference, I haven't checked MAME recently to see if they still follow this practice.)