Extracted ROMs

General No-Intro related discussions.
xuom2
High Council

Extracted ROMs

Post by xuom2 » 08 Aug 2012 19:22

At everyone horrified by the recently added "extracted" ROMS: they will disappear soon as they are not covered by our convention. In theory, betas and protos should disappear too when they come from "non physical" source (example: dev builds from HDD).

They won't disappear from database: default datfiles will be without extracted roms. there will be a new custom option to include such stuff or not. all sets will gain a "support" flag to define if "physical" or not (feel free to suggest better labels).

In this way, the database will still hold "interesting" dumps, while collectors won't see them in their sets.

I should be able to implement such feature during this weekend.

I'm here for suggestions/critics!

Powerpuff
Datter

Re: Extracted ROMs

Post by Powerpuff » 08 Aug 2012 22:02

Nice move for everyone, thanks!
The best of both worlds. ;)

Now the suggestion part. ^_^
There could be in the download page a box to check in order to configure all the sets to include or not the non-physical sources.
It would be more convenient than to configure all the sets one by one for the people who are interested by this new option.

Here is a little lazy mock-up:

Vigi

Post by Vigi » 11 Aug 2012 13:12

Why not also add a separate checkbox/filter for excluding non-retail roms (beta's, proto's, etc.) from the dat? Personally, I don't care about them, and I know I'm not alone in this (e.g. zapatabase leaves them out also), so I think it would be a nice addition. You already have a filter for Unlicensed, so it would also make sense to be able to filter out any Dev versions.

xuom2
High Council

Post by xuom2 » 12 Aug 2012 17:38

I've flagged the not-physical media, and the specific filter was added.
To do: use physical-only as default on p/c and xml datfiles.

@Powerpuff: that's complicated. in addition, if I add that filter in main download page, i have to add all the other too, like "bios", etc.

@Vigi: this can be added. A bit complicated because there is no specific flag for "Beta/Proto", but i have to search for them in the fields. Anyway, let's see if all above works, next weekend I could add your filter.

Connie

Post by Connie » 13 Aug 2012 13:01

I think you should also move all the Super Famicom (SNES) Satellite (downloadable), etc. dumps into the 'All' physical support category. :o

Unless I'm mistaken, these arn't a physical cartridge ROM dump and so the dat should now be standardised as with the others. I suppose you could leave the BS, etc. check box options incase people want to select what additional dump support they want added to the 'All' version dat. :)

air2mp3

Post by air2mp3 » 13 Aug 2012 13:48

But please save the selection in the cookie.
I don't want to setup all this radio buttons every time before I download a dat.
And when I forget one of this radio buttons I have a incomplete dat file.

Cassiel

Post by Cassiel » 17 Aug 2012 20:20

Would it not be better to make the default 'All'?

This would be consistent with all the other filters then...

fprietog

Post by fprietog » 18 Aug 2012 18:22

I agree with the possibility of include Extracted ROMs into No-Intro sets, but only when these ROMs can be played in the real hardware.

BTW; I've done a little contribution of Extracted ROMS for SNES here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2299

Best regards.

air2mp3

Post by air2mp3 » 19 Aug 2012 09:01

Cassiel wrote:Would it not be better to make the default 'All'?

This would be consistent with all the other filters then...
this is also a good solution

xuom2
High Council

Post by xuom2 » 29 Aug 2012 17:20

I know I'm slow with this, but I promise you will have soon news.