Changing numbers in DATs "regularly" is no good thing

General No-Intro related discussions.
Densetsu
Datter

Changing numbers in DATs "regularly" is no good thing

Post by Densetsu » 11 Aug 2015 14:00

Dear community,

At least for NDS, I'd like to point out that numbers there change quite often - something which I personally disapprove.
Let's take "Pro Action Replay MAX (World) (Unl)", just as an example. 'Today', it's "z165"; 'tomorrow', it's "z022". Nice jump of 143 numbers there, isn't it? [/sarcasm]
Yes, I know, this was done because "z022" got a regular number and someone wanted to fill that gap. So my suggestion: Get rid of that zzzz numbering schema completely! What's the sense of it anyway? Anyone can go to D-o-M and check if a release is from scene, third party and so on - if he/she wants to know. If that's not sufficient for tracking, then you could introduce a tag like "[ind]" or anything you think would be appropriate.
When submitting a release, just let D-o-M assign the next available number [like "n++;"]. So there should be no gaps anymore. And does it really matter if a release is found under <6512> or <6513> (numbers just randomly chosen) if someone notices "Oh, hey, that scene release from <6513> actually came out before <6512>, so let's switch the numbers!"? There is NO official order, is there? And again, you can always check in D-o-M when a dump was released (provided that the person who submitted the dump put the correct information into the "Dump date" field).
It gets confusing and a little bit annoying (and like Connie pointed out in another thread makes maintaining patches more difficult) if a dump gets different numbers in the course of time. I like numbers assigned to releases as I see them like IDs and the advantage of an ID is supposed to be a unique number for easy/quick reference, isn't it? [IMHO, every set should (still) have numbers as anyone can chose in D-o-M if he/she wants his/her DAT with or without numbers - but that would be off-topic here, I guess, so maybe I'll start a new thread addressing this someday.]
Of course, this is my individual opinion and you may or may not share it. I'd like to hear your voices - maybe you see my point; maybe someone can bring up some arguments why it actually makes sense to have zzzz numbers. ;)

Gefflon
Datter

Re: Changing numbers in DATs "regularly" is no good thing

Post by Gefflon » 11 Aug 2015 14:22

I'm using the unnumbered dat and I'm happy. I don't ever see any of these numbers unless I go looking for them.
Why do you care about them?

Densetsu
Datter

Post by Densetsu » 12 Aug 2015 02:20

Like I said before: for easy and quick reference.
A game title might have 100+ characters but with a unique number which always stays the same, I can unambiguously refer to that game - in case of No-Intro - with just four digits [= ID].
The title might change in future (wrong region, incomplete list of languages, etc.) but if you refer to the game by an ID, that title change wouldn't matter.

Macarro

Post by Macarro » 12 Aug 2015 09:29

And, even better, use the ROM's CRC32, it's 8 char long and it won't change ever. I haven't checked it but it's very likely that you'll find a crc32 collision (2 different roms with the same crc32) among all no-intro romsets.

Regards

Densetsu
Datter

Post by Densetsu » 12 Aug 2015 15:51

However, the CRC32 value will change if the game was a bad dump and gets a proper redump. ;)

Fonix
Dumper

Post by Fonix » 13 Aug 2015 19:16

I don't normally jump into these type of conversations, but my complaint with changing the numbering lies with patches. If someone outside of the scene dumps a rom and it ends up being bad, then it is re-dumped properly, it will have a zXXX patch in horde. Then if it is released by the scene, and it gets a "real" number, how is one supposed to locate the patch? This is an extreme case and I can't recall it happening, but the possibility is still there.