Sony Pocketstation dat?

General No-Intro related discussions.
Post Reply
Collecter
Posts: 166
Joined: 25 Nov 2016 17:09

Sony Pocketstation dat?

Post by Collecter » 13 Jan 2017 14:48

There are around 100 games for it so why no?

KingMike
Posts: 371
Joined: 22 Sep 2012 16:36

Re: Sony Pocketstation dat?

Post by KingMike » 13 Jan 2017 17:05

I'm not too familiar with this one.
Did it have its own physical media with games sold on it, or were they only loaded onto the device while playing PS1 games (like the GameCube games that could load games onto a GBA)?
For the latter example, I read there was once a DAT but it was removed as they were decided to be effectively GameCube game data.

einstein95
Datter
Posts: 138
Joined: 02 Nov 2014 08:37

Re: Sony Pocketstation dat?

Post by einstein95 » 13 Jan 2017 20:27

KingMike wrote:I'm not too familiar with this one.
Did it have its own physical media with games sold on it, or were they only loaded onto the device while playing PS1 games (like the GameCube games that could load games onto a GBA)?
For the latter example, I read there was once a DAT but it was removed as they were decided to be effectively GameCube game data.
It's like the Sega VMU, in which the Dreamcast (or PS1 in this case) saves the game onto the VMU/Pocketstation. Only in the former's case are there licensed games released for it that never came out via a Dreamcast game.

KeroHazel
Posts: 5
Joined: 09 Dec 2008 09:15

Re: Sony Pocketstation dat?

Post by KeroHazel » 13 Jan 2017 22:21

Unfortunately Pocketstation games can be tricky, as some games do not have a definitive ROM.

For example, all of the Rockman Complete Works have a feature that "transfers" the game to the Pocketstation. Every time you do this, what it actually does is it generates a new game from scratch, giving you a random Robot Master or two with random stats, and saves that on the Pocketstation. The file it creates mixes the program and data freely in a series of save blocks, with no easy way to separate the two.

Spyro the Dragon (the first one) gets even crazier. There is only one version of the Pocketstation game, however the game by itself is useless. In order to play the game you need dragonfly eggs, and the only way to get those is to find them in the main game on the Playstation, which then transfers the data onto the Pocketstation.

I'm not saying No-Intro shouldn't try to dat these games, but be aware that many of them will be problematic. Most of them were probably never designed to be played in isolation. They are meant to be played along with the main game.

Collecter
Posts: 166
Joined: 25 Nov 2016 17:09

Re: Sony Pocketstation dat?

Post by Collecter » 14 Jan 2017 08:46

Well e reader cards are almost the same aint.they and they got a dat

einstein95
Datter
Posts: 138
Joined: 02 Nov 2014 08:37

Re: Sony Pocketstation dat?

Post by einstein95 » 14 Jan 2017 14:48

Collecter wrote:Well e reader cards are almost the same aint.they and they got a dat
No. E-reader cards contain binary data that is decoded by scanning it. The .bin files in the dat are 1:1 binary streams of said data. PocketStation games are essentially PS1 save games.

Collecter
Posts: 166
Joined: 25 Nov 2016 17:09

Re: Sony Pocketstation dat?

Post by Collecter » 14 Jan 2017 17:17

einstein95 wrote:
Collecter wrote:Well e reader cards are almost the same aint.they and they got a dat
No. E-reader cards contain binary data that is decoded by scanning it. The .bin files in the dat are 1:1 binary streams of said data. PocketStation games are essentially PS1 save games.
Thanks i guess i will keep the pocketstation set as part of my non no-intro collection for now

Post Reply