It is currently 21 Oct 2017 13:06

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2017 23:11 

I found that some NES unlicensed roms are in the same P/C group as the licensed ones. What's most weird is the fact that the unlicensed ones are the parents while the licensed ones are the clones. Is it right? They are the following:

After Burner (Japan)
After Burner (USA) (Unl)

Alien Syndrome (Japan)
Alien Syndrome (USA) (Unl)

Fantasy Zone (Japan)
Fantasy Zone (USA) (Unl)

Rolling Thunder (Japan)
Rolling Thunder (USA) (Unl)

First I thought the P/C relation should me changed, but later I thought that if they were released in Japan, and them copied without license to NA market, they are actually pirate games, and not just unlicensed games. AFAIK, pirate games do not belong to No-Intro database.

Speaking in pirate game, there are some (Pirate) game on SNES database like Picachu, X-Men, and Tekken. Why?
Rocman X (Asia) (Unl) seems pirate too.

I also found that some roms are clone but not marked as such:

Booky Man (Spain) (Gluk Video) (Unl)
Brush Roller (Asia) (Unl)

Tiles of Fate (USA) (Unl)
Jin Gwok Sei Chuen Saang (Asia) (Unl)

Tiles of Fate is marked as clone of Idol Shisen Mahjong (Japan) (Unl), but they are not related.

I hope to have helped you. Keep with you great work.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017 04:28 

Are you saying Tengen was a pirate company?
I know that their cloned lockout chip was kind of a legal gray area for bypassing Nintendo's protection (why they did that I'm sure is a story told well elsewhere) but I would expect that they licensed the games from the game copyright owners (which I think is the definition of what separates a "pirate" game, Tengen's position with Nintendo not mattering as the games they published were not Nintendo's property).

I would argue separating the two versions of Fantasy Zone though, as they seemed to be separately developed.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2017 18:22 

I am not saying Tengen was a pirate company, but some of their games seem to have been pirate, clones, this kind of thing. Why keep unlicensed version of some games while you have the licensed versions? If keep, why the unlicensed versions are the parent while the licensed versions are the clones?

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2017 05:18 

The only game of theirs that I think could be easily argued as a "pirate" is Tetris, because it was made without a proper license (though they were unaware of that until after the game was finished and released. It was an understandable mistake as people at the time didn't know who REALLY owned Tetris.)

I still believe you are saying a game is a "pirate" (illegal) just because Nintendo didn't approve of it, but the console maker (Nintendo) approval isn't a requirement of legality (which is exactly why Activision still exists. They made "unlicensed" 2600 games and it was perfectly legal.)
I checked GameFAQs and the boxes to the three Sega game ports do say they were licensed by Sega (thus it was legal and not a pirate). The Rolling Thunder box technically only gives a copyright credit to Namco. Though it is reason to believe it was licensed (BY NAMCO) since Namco continued to license games to them (which they wouldn't do if Tengen was pirating their games), with Ms. Pac-Man the next year (which does state the Namco license on the box).

I believe the Parent is chosen by a preferred country order (for No-Intro it is Europe then US then Japan) with the first one in order with a legal release chosen.

I know Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was also published in a Nintendo-endorsed version by a different company, but Tengen (or their parent company/label Atari Games) made the arcade game it was ported from. By excluding Tengen's releases when a "licensed" publisher also published it, we would be excluding Tengen's own release of their own game.