Gone for 5 years. What's the current state of preservation?

General No-Intro related discussions.
Collecter

Re: Gone for 5 years. What's the current state of preservati

Post by Collecter » 12 Jan 2018 15:19

DS WFC DLC?
Is this getting updated by someone?
I havent downloaded the file yet are there save files inside for games i dont get the raw format part.
Are pokemon events considered wfc dlc cause the site projectpokemon has many events preserved in the most legit way possible

Edit:

Got the file, only see weird named folders and weird files, oh well

KingMike

Post by KingMike » 13 Jan 2018 19:11

How were Mystery Gifts (Pokemon/items) in Gen 4/5 distributed?
Was it through in-game menus, or through a Download Play app.

I know in Gen 6/7 (which is the only ones I have experience with), it was through online, either freely "From the Internet" for freely-downloadble or "With Code" for those locked behind code cards.
But the only odd I recall was Hoopa, for which the only event I know of in the US was from the Internet while connected to WiFi from McDonalds. (though I think Japan might have used it more, ie movie-related Pokemon downloaded through WiFi from participating movie theaters) How would that differ from the regular unrestricted downloads? An extra IP check in the code or something?

Collecter

Post by Collecter » 20 Jan 2018 09:31

I think ds had events with wifi were you receive the pokemon/item ingame...
And maybe real life stores had a special distribution rom so you bring your gb, gba and ds along with the required game and they send you the pokemon or item.
I never went to a pokemon event so i dont know much tbh.

Project pokemon forum has most events from game boy, gba and ds preserved in save file format, they are like no intro for pokemon events xD
Also digiex site has many distribution roms and save files with gen 1-5 event pokemon and items, a few of the distribution roms from there got added to no intros database

Did only the pokemon game boy, gba and ds games had "dlc" like that or other games too?
Hope if there are more games like this somebody atleast preserved the save files with the dlc

KingMike

Post by KingMike » 02 Feb 2018 03:13

I only recently heard of some Japanese GBC game by Konami with FlashROM to store downloaded content.
(only brought up in discussion of GB/GBC games with obscure mappers, pretty much anything besides MBC1, 2 and 5 which most of the library seems to have used. And MBC3 which seems to have been used in few but popular games like Pokemon.)

Whovian9369

Post by Whovian9369 » 03 Feb 2018 00:49

KingMike wrote:How were Mystery Gifts (Pokemon/items) in Gen 4/5 distributed?
Was it through in-game menus, or through a Download Play app.

I know in Gen 6/7 (which is the only ones I have experience with), it was through online, either freely "From the Internet" for freely-downloadble or "With Code" for those locked behind code cards.
But the only odd I recall was Hoopa, for which the only event I know of in the US was from the Internet while connected to WiFi from McDonalds. (though I think Japan might have used it more, ie movie-related Pokemon downloaded through WiFi from participating movie theaters) How would that differ from the regular unrestricted downloads? An extra IP check in the code or something?
Via In-game menus for 4/5 iirc. Been a while since I played Platinum, though. Mainly "From Internet" or Local DS-to-DS stuff.