It is currently 12 Dec 2017 13:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2017 09:38 

I haven't been following No-Intro or emulation in general for years so can anyone bring me up to date what the current general situation is? I can see that as each year passes, more and more things (e.g. games) go digital/online and that also brings about complacency and a false sense of comfort. "Once something is online, it stays online forever" is an assertion that is increasingly becoming false. Super Famicom's Bandai Satellaview is probably the oldest example of this.

1. The Closing of DSiWare on March 31, 2017 - how much stuff got backed up? For example, I was looking for Noroi no Game: Chi (ノロイ ノ ゲエム 血) and Noroi no Game: Goku (ノロイ ノ ゲエム 獄) which are spin-off titles to Square Enix's horror game of the same name. I had a look at the DAT file and it seems like it was preserved so that's good.

2. The Closing of PSP Store on March 31, 2016 - and how does this affect downloadables like games, demos, game updates and DLC?

3. Game Updates and DLC for PS3/PS4/PSP/Vita, DS/DSi/3DS, Xbox360/Xbone - what's the go regarding these? Game updates are pretty important, they're basically the (Rev A) and (Rev B) of disc-based games. DLC is also important, they could be additional side-quests/missions (e.g. Metal Gear Solid: Revengeance) or something small like extra costumes or pieces of equipment for RPGs.

Also on the subject of DLC, to download DLC you will need a copy of the game and on top of that, DLC is separated by region (USA, Europe, Japan)?

4. PS2 Online Content - There's a small amount of stuff here that should be of interest to dumpers and gamers alike. One example is the Multiplayer Mode from Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII.

5. Mobile Phone Games - yes, there's a lot of shitware on the mobile phone marketplace. But there are a small amount of good stuff too. Here's a selection of stuff: https://assemblergames.com/threads/japa ... nix.30677/

As far as Japanese games are concerned, it should be easier to back up? 10 years ago, Japanese mobile phones' system was separate from the rest of the world but now that everyone uses smartphones, everything should be more accessible (region issues aside). By the way, is "Before Crisis: Final Fantasy VII" dumped yet?

6. Online-only Games - like the above, a lot of low quality here. But there are a lot of challenges here that deserves its own thread. Is it even theoretically possible to backup the entire Final Fantasy XI experience? We're talking the main games, the sequels/expansions, the addons, the game updates, and the one-time events.

7. What can I do and how? - what do I need to know before diving in? Now that I have some time (and some money), I would like to do my part.

To explain myself a bit, I solely collect Japanese games for all consoles so I'll be approaching preservation from that angle. I guess the first step is logging in to the Japanese-region version of the PS3 Play Store and just grabbing stuff? And booting up my Japanese games and grabbing their DLC? After I do that, how do I back up the stuff to USB? And restore it back to the PS3's hard drive?

I also wanted to grab the Japanese version of P.T. (Hideo Kojima's horror game demo) but that doesn't seem to be possible (the English version seems to have been backed up).

In other news, I also found the Revision A/v1.1 version of Estpolis Denki (Japan) but it seems like y'all already got it some time ago.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2017 14:49 

It's great to have you back!

In addition to the closures you mentioned, the Wii Shop will be closing on January 30, 2019. My impression is that the Wii Shop is better preserved than the DSi Shop was prior to the closure, which is good.
https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detai ... nouncement

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2017 22:31 
Datter

In terms of Wii and DSi, what can be done is getting ahold of consoles (or people with consoles) for tickets, so content (which is available for download off the servers) can be decrypted.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2017 16:22 

Buddybenj wrote:
It's great to have you back!

In addition to the closures you mentioned, the Wii Shop will be closing on January 30, 2019.
https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detai ... nouncement

I'll keep that in mind. Time to dust off my Wii.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2017 00:07 

layzee wrote:

I also wanted to grab the Japanese version of P.T.

Cool sounds like you have a good background! I can speak to PSN.

3. Game Updates and DLC for PS3/PS4/PSP/Vita, DS/DSi/3DS, Xbox360/Xbone - what's the go regarding these? Game updates are pretty important, they're basically the (Rev A) and (Rev B) of disc-based games. DLC is also important, they could be additional side-quests/missions (e.g. Metal Gear Solid: Revengeance) or something small like extra costumes or pieces of equipment for RPGs.

So after a lot of work recently by xuom2 and myself and years of datting by bsbt we have just added 4 new dats for the PSN: Sony - PlayStation 3 (PSN), Sony - PlayStation 4 (PSN), Sony - PlayStation Portable (PSN), and Sony - PlayStation Vita (PSN). These include downloadable games, updates for downloadable games as well as disc-based games, DLC, and soon to come BIOS updates and media/wallpapers; basically anything distributed through PSN.

You can contribute greatly by "dumping" these through your PSN account and using a script like PSDLE (https://repod.github.io/psdle/) in a browser to export raw links for everything you have access to. This includes demos and other free content, so if you see anything that is not in the dat, grab all that you can too. The old method with a PS3 proxy also works, and other steps may be necessary to dump key files such as .rap for PS3 content and other keys for Vita, how to dat these is not yet decided but most likely by hashing in the dats themselves. The raw .pkg files are most important, though, to dat.

I also believe that for updates, there is a protocol that the PSN uses to detect all available updates for a certain game ID (or maybe just the latest?), which certain software such as the PS3 pkg extractor or other homebrew/modding tools can take advantage of to bulk download updates, but I have not studied this much yet. If not, a proxy would work.

I don't know whether the PSN requires you own the original to get DLC (probably not), but I do know that DLC varies by region and sometimes even different releases of the same game (physical vs. digital, or different European region variants).

The Japanese version of P.T. is in the new dat along with USA and Europe, but I don't know where the original source is.

Proper datting of the eShop for Wii U and 3DS is still in the works, I am now focused most on PSN.

Anyway do get in touch if you're interested in the PSN stuff.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2017 15:34 

norkmetnoil577 wrote:
So after a lot of work recently by xuom2 and myself and years of datting by bsbt we have just added 4 new dats for the PSN: Sony - PlayStation 3 (PSN), Sony - PlayStation 4 (PSN), Sony - PlayStation Portable (PSN), and Sony - PlayStation Vita (PSN). These include downloadable games, updates for downloadable games as well as disc-based games, DLC, and soon to come BIOS updates and media/wallpapers; basically anything distributed through PSN.

I didn't realise those dats were on the datomatic page (I didn't scroll down far enough...). Looking pretty good, glad y'all are keeping track of these. I can probably add more on the (Japan) side of things.

norkmetnoil577 wrote:
You can contribute greatly by "dumping" these through your PSN account and using a script like PSDLE (https://repod.github.io/psdle/) in a browser to export raw links for everything you have access to. This includes demos and other free content, so if you see anything that is not in the dat, grab all that you can too. The old method with a PS3 proxy also works, and other steps may be necessary to dump key files such as .rap for PS3 content and other keys for Vita, how to dat these is not yet decided but most likely by hashing in the dats themselves. The raw .pkg files are most important, though, to dat.

I also believe that for updates, there is a protocol that the PSN uses to detect all available updates for a certain game ID (or maybe just the latest?), which certain software such as the PS3 pkg extractor or other homebrew/modding tools can take advantage of to bulk download updates, but I have not studied this much yet. If not, a proxy would work.

I don't know whether the PSN requires you own the original to get DLC (probably not), but I do know that DLC varies by region and sometimes even different releases of the same game (physical vs. digital, or different European region variants).

Does it matter which system software the PS3 console is? Somehow I have 3 Slim PS3s and 1 Super-Slim PS3 so hopefully at least one will be suitable for our purposes. Anyway, when I have time, I'll dust off and boot up a PS3 and if I have any more questions regarding this topic, I'll ask here.

norkmetnoil577 wrote:
The Japanese version of P.T. is in the new dat along with USA and Europe, but I don't know where the original source is.

Great.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2017 17:09 

layzee wrote:

Does it matter which system software the PS3 console is? Somehow I have 3 Slim PS3s and 1 Super-Slim PS3 so hopefully at least one will be suitable for our purposes. Anyway, when I have time, I'll dust off and boot up a PS3 and if I have any more questions regarding this topic, I'll ask here.

For PS3, the golden rule is that firmware version <= 3.55 is useful for modding. It's an old one, so hopefully one of your consoles is like that, on which you can install a CFW that allows FTP access to PS3 files. That is what I believe needed to back up the .RAP files that decrypt the protected .pkgs (for many free contents this is not necessary) and make them actually usable. I can explain and link to more if you do have one that is <3.55.

The .pkg links themselves can be scraped from a web browser, no console needed. Here is a short guide I found.

1. Download and install PSDLE browser extension. Or, bookmark the javascript code it tells you to. It can be found here: https://repod.github.io/psdle/
2. Go to the Playstation Store page and log in
3. With PSDLE installed you'll get the Icon on the bottom left corner. Click it.
4. After you clicked it, you get a menu. Click "Start."
5. I'll list all your digital games/dlcs/themes. Everything you own on your Playstation Account. When it's done it'll have a big list.
6. Click on EXPORT VIEW on the top. A config menu will pop up.
7. Configure it so it has the most relevant information, like Name, Platform, ID, PKG link.
9. Press CSV button to export the file to your PC.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2017 08:57 

Thanks for all the info thus far. Will report back with results soon or if I have any other questions.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2017 10:05 

norkmetnoil577 wrote:
and other steps may be necessary to dump key files such as .rap for PS3 content and other keys for Vita

For the Vita you have to run the game on a 3.60 system running HENkaku, and with the NoNpDrm plugin loaded. This generates a faked license for the game and any valid DLC it has when you try to run it. The issues with it are:
- At present, the only way to download your games from PSN is to do it on a second system at 3.65 and transfer it via QCMA. Both must be activated on the same PSN account. The old hack-around of downloading on a PS3 does not work.
- Some later games do not work on 3.60 so you can't run them. In this situation all you can do is dump the .pkg.
Getting .pkg links is the same as PS3: Use PSDLE.

Cartridge games can also be dumped with NoNpDrm, but the actual game cartridge is a folder, so those are better off done with PSVgamesd which generates a single .psv file and also preserves more decryption information than NoNpDrm.
Dumper comparison

layzee wrote:
Does it matter which system software the PS3 console is?

The firmware needs to be 3.55 to be useful. If it's over, it may be possible to downgrade via hardmod but it depends on the machine's hardware revision. All fats and some slims are downgradeable. Super slims are no-go.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2017 17:42 

Quote:
1. The Closing of DSiWare on March 31, 2017

Most DSiWare is still available via the 3DS eShop. Before the closure of the shop all DSi-only DSiWare that was still available for purchase was preserved. But sadly there are many games that were removed for purchase years ago that will be a pain to get a hold of. Like Hiccup said, you'd need to find people that own the games.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2017 19:23 

AFAIK the only digital content on the original DS was in-game and demos distributed the console RAM through Download Play and the Nintendo Channel on Wii. (as DS/DSL had no internal content storage memory aside from storing the firmware settings)
The in-game stuff would probably only be archivable through dumping saves with the DLC installed. (and possibly some ROM hacking to revert it to an "unused" state if necessary)

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2017 21:35 

KingMike wrote:
AFAIK the only digital content on the original DS was in-game and demos distributed the console RAM through Download Play and the Nintendo Channel on Wii. (as DS/DSL had no internal content storage memory aside from storing the firmware settings)
The in-game stuff would probably only be archivable through dumping saves with the DLC installed. (and possibly some ROM hacking to revert it to an "unused" state if necessary)

A lot of the DS WFC DLC was preserved in its raw format. Here's an archive with a ton of it:
http://www68.zippyshare.com/v/0wL9HCmi/file.html

People have made their own WFC server software that you could use to distribute that to a DS:
https://github.com/polaris-/dwc_network_server_emulator
You need to patch the games, though, using an ARDS or patched roms on a flashcard.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2017 12:32 

Just a quick update that unfortunately, all of my PS3s have system firmware 4.00+ and in order to re-access the PSN store, I'd need to update to whatever is the newest one, and then I can finally use PSDLE.

Also, on a different forum, someone recently obtained an old Japanese mobile phone with an incomplete copy of the Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII Lost Episode game.

Also, I was updating my Bandai Wonderswan set and I noticed a "new" addition: Chocobo no Fushigi na Dungeon for WonderSwan (Japan) (Rev 1) and (Rev 2). I was wondering if anyone had any information on these two and how to identify them apart from buying them randomly and hoping for the best?