Beginner questions

General No-Intro related discussions.
Post Reply
buffaloj0e
Posts: 8
Joined: 29 May 2018 04:28

Beginner questions

Post by buffaloj0e » 01 Jun 2018 23:15

Hi all, I am new here and had some very basic beginner question, it is mostly obvious stuff but I want to make sure my understanding is correct, if it makes a difference I am solely referring to snes.

If I dump some games the rom is not important (unless it is in fact different) the hash data is what verifies the dump is “correct”. So the dumps that are unverified are just games no one has done a check dump, or in some cases the dump is bad?

I haven’t personally checked but this means the new dump of SD Great Battle .1 is also unverified until someone else dumps the same revision?

How is the best way to present the data for inclusion? Hiccup’s wiki has the categories that need to be addressed, can this be sent to someone as a csv? And in a similar vein can the DOM data be extracted as a csv for comparison purposes locally?

Besides verifying the games currently not, I expect I can add some -AUS to the verified games and continue to reinforce the rule that rom code is the fixed constant for rom data regardless of region on the label.

Thanks for any input.

Hiccup
Datter
Posts: 327
Joined: 09 Oct 2015 11:29

Re: Beginner questions

Post by Hiccup » 01 Jun 2018 23:31

buffaloj0e wrote:
01 Jun 2018 23:15
Hi all, I am new here and had some very basic beginner question, it is mostly obvious stuff but I want to make sure my understanding is correct, if it makes a difference I am solely referring to snes.

If I dump some games the rom is not important (unless it is in fact different) the hash data is what verifies the dump is “correct”. So the dumps that are unverified are just games no one has done a check dump, or in some cases the dump is bad?
Hello

No-Intro isn't a ROM sharing site, but there is no need to post a ROM for checking by No-Intro datters (or for sharing on other sites, if you so desire), if it matches an already public dump.
I haven’t personally checked but this means the new dump of SD Great Battle .1 is also unverified until someone else dumps the same revision?
Yes, it is unverified until a dump from *another (genuine) cart* is made.
How is the best way to present the data for inclusion? Hiccup’s wiki has the categories that need to be addressed, can this be sent to someone as a csv? And in a similar vein can the DOM data be extracted as a csv for comparison purposes locally?
You can send it privately or post it on the new dump forum. Sending it as CSV won't help streamline the process unfortunately, but that it is just due to limitations of the database and you are free to send as CSV if you want.
Besides verifying the games currently not, I expect I can add some -AUS to the verified games and continue to reinforce the rule that rom code is the fixed constant for rom data regardless of region on the label.

Thanks for any input.
Yes, more redumps are always wanted, especially from variants that don't have (many) dumps.
No problem :)

buffaloj0e
Posts: 8
Joined: 29 May 2018 04:28

Re: Beginner questions

Post by buffaloj0e » 02 Jun 2018 00:14

Thanks Hiccup :)
Is there a bulk way to get the existing game title, rom and label code and SHA-1. Pal Europe.

Hiccup
Datter
Posts: 327
Joined: 09 Oct 2015 11:29

Re: Beginner questions

Post by Hiccup » 02 Jun 2018 10:34

You can use GameHeader to get the header data out of a ROM. It also generates hashes, but it spaces out the hash, which isn't the format used in the database so it is preferable if you use another tool for hashes (unless you wan't to carefully remove the spaces from the hashes - you can use find-and-replace in a text editor for that).

jimmsu
Datter
Posts: 448
Joined: 14 May 2010 22:14

Re: Beginner questions

Post by jimmsu » 02 Jun 2018 11:08

Hiccup wrote:
02 Jun 2018 10:34
You can use GameHeader to get the header data out of a ROM. It also generates hashes, but it spaces out the hash, which isn't the format used in the database so it is preferable if you use another tool for hashes (unless you wan't to carefully remove the spaces from the hashes - you can use find-and-replace in a text editor for that).
You can easy fix that in Gameheader.
Go to settings.
Go to output
And delete flag : partion hashes (no space anymore)

Image

buffaloj0e
Posts: 8
Joined: 29 May 2018 04:28

Re: Beginner questions

Post by buffaloj0e » 02 Jun 2018 11:32

I was asking about the current DOM data, I was hoping there was an easier way then copy and pasting each line for each game. And if I spreadsheet the data I don’t have manually check for discrepancies or matches.

I will give game header a go, I did try briefly HxD but I couldn’t get any result when I chose the hash option from the drop down.

jimmsu
Datter
Posts: 448
Joined: 14 May 2010 22:14

Re: Beginner questions

Post by jimmsu » 02 Jun 2018 13:29

buffaloj0e wrote:
02 Jun 2018 11:32
I was asking about the current DOM data, I was hoping there was an easier way then copy and pasting each line for each game. And if I spreadsheet the data I don’t have manually check for discrepancies or matches.

I will give game header a go, I did try briefly HxD but I couldn’t get any result when I chose the hash option from the drop down.

You can download files XML and XMDB files , thay have also that info in it.
Maybe that is what you searching for.
You find these in the download tab and there you can find those.
Set the set you want and download the info.

buffaloj0e
Posts: 8
Joined: 29 May 2018 04:28

Re: Beginner questions

Post by buffaloj0e » 02 Jun 2018 14:17

Thanks I’ll check it out :)

Hiccup
Datter
Posts: 327
Joined: 09 Oct 2015 11:29

Re: Beginner questions

Post by Hiccup » 02 Jun 2018 19:06

There is a option in DoM to import a GameHeader log, but I don't think it works.

User avatar
xuom2
High Council
Posts: 1072
Joined: 22 May 2008 18:45

Re: Beginner questions

Post by xuom2 » 02 Jun 2018 19:41

I use it with profit :p

Hiccup
Datter
Posts: 327
Joined: 09 Oct 2015 11:29

Re: Beginner questions

Post by Hiccup » 02 Jun 2018 22:34

@Buffaloj0e
You can also use the redumps button (while logged out of DoM) to see a summary which has name+verification status+serials
You could combine this with a dat file from the downloads section, if you wanted the checksums too

buffaloj0e
Posts: 8
Joined: 29 May 2018 04:28

Re: Beginner questions

Post by buffaloj0e » 03 Jun 2018 22:38

The XML file works after I used an online tool to convert it to csv. The is a bit of sorting out to do as it contains the entire snes catalog. It does contain checksums, status, size and the correct name with revision. It is missing the cart serial which I wanted to cross reference so I can identify the different regional carts I have vs DoM.

User avatar
xuom2
High Council
Posts: 1072
Joined: 22 May 2008 18:45

Re: Beginner questions

Post by xuom2 » 04 Jun 2018 05:15

How to add the serial to xml? in the ROM field? between MD5 and VERIFIED?

Hiccup
Datter
Posts: 327
Joined: 09 Oct 2015 11:29

Re: Beginner questions

Post by Hiccup » 04 Jun 2018 11:32

xuom2 wrote:
04 Jun 2018 05:15
How to add the serial to xml? in the ROM field? between MD5 and VERIFIED?
I'd say yes for that.

But some systems don't have in-ROM serials.
Solution for that is to use a portion (specified for each system) of the main physical serial.
E.g. for the SNES the first two parts of the most serials would be used.
E.g for "Super Mario World (USA)" :
SNS-MW-CAN-1
SNS-MW-USA-1
SNS-MW-USA
would be shortened to "SNS-MW". You could also replace "SNS" with "SPAL" to match the probable ID on the ROM chip.

buffaloj0e
Posts: 8
Joined: 29 May 2018 04:28

Re: Beginner questions

Post by buffaloj0e » 06 Jun 2018 12:10

Would the rom serial be added based on the game number, meaning there is no guess work need for a specific title. In my experience a -1 rom serial doesn’t always coincide with a -1 label serial. Likewise SPAL is by far the most common but there is a few SFRA or SFRG in the base set and also SITA and SESP thrown in the mix.

Just thinking out loud, rom serial should be specific for each game entry but multiple label serials will exist for some games representing the different regions dumped. The change in rom serial prefix denotes a offical translation variant, there are many cases of games released in multiple regions all containing the same rom, I don’t know if this is searchable or cataloged anywhere.

Post Reply