It is currently 21 Sep 2017 02:32

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017 18:02 
Offline

Joined: 06 Sep 2017 15:12
Posts: 5
I've been going through a lot of system P/C dat files in DAT-o-MATIC and comparing to existing data online regarding releases and regions. I've compiled a list of differences between No-Intro and what I've seen as generally accepted on the internet. I tried to find multiple sources before bringing any of these up so if you see something I missed, please let me know.

Atari 2600:
Quite a few differences, I'll make a separate list for this system.

Atari 5200:
Castle Blast (USA) (Unl) - I believe this should be removed seeing that it is a Homebrew released well after the system life span.
Castle Crisis (USA) (Unl) - Same reason as Castle Blast.
Koffi - Yellow Kopter (USA) (Unl) - Same reason as Castle Blast.
Realsports Basketball (USA) - This game was never released. I think it needs the Proto flag added to it.

Atari Jaguar:
BattleSphere Gold (World) - I believe this should be removed seeing that it is a Homebrew released after the system life span.
Breakout 2000 - This game was released and I've seen dumps of it on the internet, but I don't see it in No-Intro. Am I missing something?
Hyper Force (World) - Released by Songbird Productions, which was founded after system life span and makes homebrews as well as releases of original games. I think it should be removed since only one of their Lynx games are on here.
Protector - Special Edition (World) - Same reason as Hyper Force.
Skyhammer (World) - Same reason as Hyper Force.
Soccer Kid (World) - Same reason as Hyper Force.
Space War 2000 (World) - I believe this should be removed seeing that it is a Reproduction of a previous Proto game released after the system life span.
Total Carnage (World) - Same reason as Hyper Force.

Atari Lynx:
Lexis - Released by Songbird Productions, which was founded after system life span. Is there a reason this is listed and none of his others are? I personally don't consider any releases after system life span as a true release.

Game Boy:
NBA Jam (USA, Europe) - This is listed as a clone of NBA Jam - Tournament Edition (USA, Europe). I think this should be a separate game. Other systems show it as separate (Game Gear, SNES, Genesis/Mega Drive).

Game Boy Advance:
GBA Personal Organizer (USA) (Unl) - According to NintendoAge, this was only released in Europe. I couldn't find much else about it.
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It,Nl,Da) - According to NintendoAge, this was released in the US as well, like the others.

Game Boy Color:
4 in 1 + 8 in 1 (World) - There's 5 of these. I haven't seen anything about these seeing a release in the US.
Jurassic Boy 2 (World) - Same reason as the 4 in 1's.

Game Gear:
Alien Syndrome (USA, Europe) - Sega Retro, and most other sites, show this as a EUR and JPN release only.
Cheese Cat-Astrophe Starring Speedy Gonzales (Europe) - Sega Retro, and most other sites, show this as a USA release also.
CJ Elephant Fugitive (Europe) - Same as Cheese Cat-Astrophe.
Cosmic Spacehead (Europe) - Same as Cheese Cat-Astrophe.
Fantastic Dizzy (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It) - Same as Cheese Cat-Astrophe.
Mick & Mack as the Global Gladiators (USA, Europe) - Sega Retro, and most other sites, show this as EUR only.
Micro Machines (Europe) - Same as Cheese Cat-Astrophe.
Pengo (USA, Europe) - Same as Alien Syndrome.
WWF Wrestlemania - Steel Cage Challenge (Europe) - Same as Cheese Cat-Astrophe.

Genesis/Mega Drive:
Bass Masters Classic (USA) - This is listed as a clone of Bass Masters Classsic - Pro Edition (USA). I think this should be a separate game. SNES lists it as separate.
Captain Planet and the Planeteers (USA) - I couldn't find a US release of this online. I believe it should be classified as Proto since it didn't see a release. That or maybe it was a Brazil release?
Gunfight 3 in 1 (World) (Unl) - I think this should have the Pirate flag. I also don't think it was released in the US.
John Madden Football '93 (USA, Europe) - This is listed as the parent of John Madden Football - Championship Edition (USA). I think this should be a separate game. The Championship Edition includes All-Madden teams, one with All-Time players and another with 1992 players, whereas this version doesn't.
Mega Games I (Europe) - I didn't see where the US version, titled Triple Score, was listed. I'm pretty sure the US version is the exact same rom. I read where it says that World Cup Italia '90 is replaced with World Championship Soccer, but I believe that is only on the boxart and that the game is the exact same.
Another 5 that are controversial since they were released after system life span - Beggar Prince, Legend of Wukong, Oh Mummy Genesis, Pier Solar and the Great Architects, Star Odyssey.

NES:
Cheetahmen II (USA) (Unl) - Controversial. I think it should be labeled Proto since only 6 of 10 levels were made, but the majority consider it a release even though it was never officially released and commercially available through the standard channels.
Hot Slots (Asia) (Unl) - This was released in the US by Panesian.
Peek-A-Boo (Asia) (Unl) - Same reason as Hot Slots.

NGPC:
Faseleil! (Europe) - This was released in the US in a blister pack with the handheld when SNK was liquidating their stock.
Last Blade, The - Beyond the Destiny (Europe) - Same reason as Faseleil.
Neo Baccarat - Real Casino Series (World) - I can't find a US release of this online. Only JPN and EUR.
Picture Puzzle (USA, Europe) - Same reason as Neo Baccarat.
Puzzle Link (Europe) - Same reason as Faseleil.

SNES:
Donkey Kong Country - Competition Cartridge (USA) - This is listed as a clone of Donkey Kong Country. This is a 5 minute timed version of Donkey Kong Country used in the PowerFest 94 competition. The other PowerFest 94 games are listed so I think this one should be as well.
International Superstar Soccer (USA) - There is no proof of this being released in the US. The general consensus is that this was released in Mexico or Central America only, like Super Copa, which isn't listed as US.
International Superstar Soccer Deluxe (USA) - Same reason as International Superstar Soccer.
Star Fox - Super Weekend (USA) - This is listed as a clone of Star Fox. I think this should be a separate game. This is a 4 minute (?) timed version of Star Fox and has an exclusive bonus level that the original is missing. It was also sold through Nintendo Power magazine.
7 Pirate games that I think need to be removed entirely - King of Fighters 2000 (Has USA region even though it is a Brazil only release), Picachu, Pokemon Stadium, Soul Blade, Street Fighter EX, Tekken 2, X-Men vs. Street Fighter

Vectrex:
Mr. Boston Clean Sweep (Europe) - This was released in the US. Not sure why it's listed as EUR.

The other thing I was going to ask about is what differentiates between a P/C and a different game. The below games are the ones I question:
[GBA] Battlebots - Design & Destroy - Re-release of Battlebots - Beyond the BattleBox, but with a few bug fixes. It was marketed as the "sequel" though.
[NES] Bubble Bath Babes - Adult version of Mermaids of Atlantis - The Riddle of the Magic Bubble released by Panesian.
[NES] Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! - Original release of Punch Out!! before they decided to drop his character after he lost to James "Buster" Douglas.
[NES] Stadium Events - Original release of World Class Track Meet before Nintendo owned the rights to the Family Fun Fitness mat.
[SNES] Cannondale Cup - Release of Exertainment Mountain Bike Rally that doesn't require the Exertainment system.
[Vectrex] Mine Storm - Original release of Mine Storm II before the level 13 bug was fixed.

Again, this is what catches MY attention when comparing. I could be out of line with how No-Intro sees things. My collection is mainly built around if I was in the right place at the right time, could I have bought or played (in the case of competitions like Powerfest) these games myself during the systems lifespan. That's why a good chunk of these are either Homebrew's or Reproductions released at CGE's. Any input welcomed.


Last edited by nicholaus on 18 Sep 2017 15:33, edited 15 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017 20:03 
Offline
Datter
User avatar

Joined: 17 Jun 2009 04:42
Posts: 279
Thanks for this research (and your other suggestions on the DOM). :3 A lot of good stuff here.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017 21:16 
Offline

Joined: 06 Sep 2017 15:12
Posts: 5
C. V. Reynolds wrote:
Thanks for this research (and your other suggestions on the DOM). :3 A lot of good stuff here.


Thanks. I added Atari 5200 and Jaguar to the first post as well. Will go through Game Gear when I can find the time.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2017 02:25 
Offline

Joined: 22 Sep 2012 16:36
Posts: 302
nicholaus wrote:
SNES:
Donkey Kong Country - Competition Cartridge (USA) - This is listed as a clone of Donkey Kong Country. This is a 5 minute timed version of Donkey Kong Country used in the PowerFest 94 competition. The other PowerFest 94 games are listed so I think this one should be as well.

There really is only one Powerfest '94 game (well, two variations. But one has been only privately dumped). For whatever reason, the dumper on PF94 dumped each of the ROMs on the cart as a separate game but they should run together, much like the Nintendo World Championships games.
I'm not certain on this since I didn't participate but I thought DKC was a separate contest. Possibly one run by Blockbuster? (which would explain why they needed a couple thousand copies, one for each store)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2017 03:37 
Offline

Joined: 06 Sep 2017 15:12
Posts: 5
KingMike wrote:
nicholaus wrote:
SNES:
Donkey Kong Country - Competition Cartridge (USA) - This is listed as a clone of Donkey Kong Country. This is a 5 minute timed version of Donkey Kong Country used in the PowerFest 94 competition. The other PowerFest 94 games are listed so I think this one should be as well.

There really is only one Powerfest '94 game (well, two variations. But one has been only privately dumped). For whatever reason, the dumper on PF94 dumped each of the ROMs on the cart as a separate game but they should run together, much like the Nintendo World Championships games.
I'm not certain on this since I didn't participate but I thought DKC was a separate contest. Possibly one run by Blockbuster? (which would explain why they needed a couple thousand copies, one for each store)


I believe it was used in both Powerfest 94 and Blockbuster II, but could be wrong. Campus Challenge 92 has also been dumped into separate roms like Powerfest, but I think it was dumped from a repro cart and not the original source so I'm not sure how No-Intro would like to handle it.

I think it's dumped into multiple roms because each game is on it's own EPROM.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2017 11:18 
Offline
Datter
User avatar

Joined: 04 Oct 2010 06:51
Posts: 156
What is the purpose of this thread? Do you want us to remove the listed games?

Quote:
Game Boy Color:
4 in 1 + 8 in 1 (World) - There's 5 of these. I haven't seen anything about these seeing a release in the US.
Jurassic Boy 2 (World) - I haven't seen anything about this seeing a release in the US.


What exactly is your point about these? Are you implying the region shouldn't be "World", because these games haven't seen a US release? The ROMs are the same for the two territories the games were released in, Taiwan and Europe, and hence are "World" releases.
There are many Game Boy games that are marked World but were not released in one or two territories. Off the top of my head, Alleyway, which did not see a China release.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2017 17:46 
Offline

Joined: 22 Sep 2012 16:36
Posts: 302
Tauwasser wrote:
What is the purpose of this thread? Do you want us to remove the listed games?

Quote:
Game Boy Color:
4 in 1 + 8 in 1 (World) - There's 5 of these. I haven't seen anything about these seeing a release in the US.
Jurassic Boy 2 (World) - I haven't seen anything about this seeing a release in the US.


What exactly is your point about these? Are you implying the region shouldn't be "World", because these games haven't seen a US release? The ROMs are the same for the two territories the games were released in, Taiwan and Europe, and hence are "World" releases.
There are many Game Boy games that are marked World but were not released in one or two territories. Off the top of my head, Alleyway, which did not see a China release.


My guess is "World" has an implication of release in all three of the largest console video game markets: Japan, US/North America and "Europe".


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2017 18:55 
Offline

Joined: 06 Sep 2017 15:12
Posts: 5
Tauwasser wrote:
What is the purpose of this thread? Do you want us to remove the listed games?

Quote:
Game Boy Color:
4 in 1 + 8 in 1 (World) - There's 5 of these. I haven't seen anything about these seeing a release in the US.
Jurassic Boy 2 (World) - I haven't seen anything about this seeing a release in the US.


What exactly is your point about these? Are you implying the region shouldn't be "World", because these games haven't seen a US release? The ROMs are the same for the two territories the games were released in, Taiwan and Europe, and hence are "World" releases.
There are many Game Boy games that are marked World but were not released in one or two territories. Off the top of my head, Alleyway, which did not see a China release.


The thread is meant to point out inconsistencies I see in the P/C dat files. Specifically, in the GBC ones you pointed out, you're correct that they were released in Taiwan and Europe, but the P/C dat file has USA listed for it as well. I don't have a problem with it being listed World, but it seems some of the P/C dat files assume that USA is a region for some "World" releases when that's not the case. This thread was me pointing out what looks wrong. I may be off on some or most of these and that's fine, I just wanted to post what I saw in case some of these are incorrectly listed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2017 02:28 
Offline
Datter
User avatar

Joined: 04 Oct 2010 06:51
Posts: 156
nicholaus wrote:
The thread is meant to point out inconsistencies I see in the P/C dat files. Specifically, in the GBC ones you pointed out, you're correct that they were released in Taiwan and Europe, but the P/C dat file has USA listed for it as well. I don't have a problem with it being listed World, but it seems some of the P/C dat files assume that USA is a region for some "World" releases when that's not the case.


Ah, I wasn't aware of the P/C entries that are auto-generated. I see "(EUR PARENT) (USA PARENT) (JPN PARENT)" in the Reg. Parent field. It might well be derived from selecting World region in the drop-down list. Before changing anything tho, I'd like some input if changing this manually will corrupt the DAT creation or if the field is updated regularly from the drop-down selection (if that's what causes it in the first place).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2017 14:08 
Offline

Joined: 06 Sep 2017 15:12
Posts: 5
Awesome. The other issues are mainly just inconsistencies. Jaguar has a few games released from Songbird Productions whereas most of his Lynx stuff isn't listed. I consider them a homebrew since they were founded after the system lifespan, but some may not. GB NBA Jam has a parent of NBA Jam TE when all other consoles list them as separate. SNES DKC Competiton has a parent of DKC when Powerfest 94 has each game separate from their parent. Mainly things like that plus a few regions I question.

Also added Game Gear to the first post.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group