Non-listed Genesis ROMs

Post bug reports and suggestions for the website, forums and DOM here.
Post Reply
rouken
Posts: 9
Joined: 16 Sep 2010 16:05

Non-listed Genesis ROMs

Post by rouken » 05 Aug 2013 02:25

In creating this topic because there's some ROMs could be listed in the Genesis's No-Intro DAT.

=== The Revenge of Shinobi ===
The Genesis game The Revenge of Shinobi have a lot of releases. You can find detailed informations HERE.
In the list, there's two versions of the game not listed in No-Intro dat yet:
> The first one is the prototype ROM, found in the Sega Smash Pack for PC.
> The second one is the Virtual Console version (named as Revenge of Shinobi, The (W) (REV03VC)).
Once the ROMs of those games was extracted and avaiable, I think those two ROMs can be listed in the No-Intro list. Once the two game don't have a phisical format, those ROMs must be listed as non-physical ROMs.

=== Oh!! Mummy Genesis ===
This game comes in a phisical comercial format, but this game becomes a freeware after the boxed copies of the game ran out. More informations HERE.

=== Sonic The Hedgehog (W) (REVXB) ===
This version of the first Sonic The Hedgehog game was extracted from the Sonic Mega Collection for GameCube, and this game is different from the previous ROMs already listed at the No-Intro set. Basicly, this version fix the famous spike bug. Once this game was extracted from the GameCube disc, the ROM must be listed as non-phycical too.

=== Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (Early prototype) ===
The first Sonic 2 proto dumped, known as "Simon Wai" prototype, is listed at the No-Intro set. But there's an earlier prototype version of the game, called "Nick Arcade" prototype, and this ROM is not listed yet. If you want for more information, you can go HERE.

=== Beast Ball ===
Recently, the beta ROM of this unreleased game was found. I think the No-Intro team could add this beta in their DAT.

=== Bomboy - Explosion Kid (Unl) [!] ===
This game is an unlicensed game for Sega Genesis, a Bombermang clone. The ROM was releases some time ago.

=== Gunfight - 3 in 1 ===
Another unlicensed Sega Genesis game with a ROM released. This time, a 3-in-1 game compatible with the Genesis lightgun.

hydr0x
Dumper
Posts: 907
Joined: 25 May 2008 15:31

Re: Non-listed Genesis ROMs

Post by hydr0x » 11 Aug 2014 18:27

Pushing this, these are still not in the DAT, as are many other MD dumps.

Special T
Datter
Posts: 20
Joined: 16 Apr 2009 05:07

Re: Non-listed Genesis ROMs

Post by Special T » 11 Aug 2014 20:45

It's funny you bumped this topic, I was actually looking at it this morning.

I'll look into adding them later today.

On a side note, I typically open a rom in SBWin Converter to verify it's in BIN format but Beastball isn't recognizable by that software. Also, it runs fine in Fusion and Exodus but not Regen. Any info on this would be helpful.

Special T
Datter
Posts: 20
Joined: 16 Apr 2009 05:07

Re: Non-listed Genesis ROMs

Post by Special T » 12 Aug 2014 05:02

rouken wrote:=== Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (Early prototype) ===
The first Sonic 2 proto dumped, known as "Simon Wai" prototype, is listed at the No-Intro set. But there's an earlier prototype version of the game, called "Nick Arcade" prototype, and this ROM is not listed yet. If you want for more information, you can go HERE.

=== Beast Ball ===
Recently, the beta ROM of this unreleased game was found. I think the No-Intro team could add this beta in their DAT.
I'm still looking into Beastball so any additional info people have on this game please let me know.

As for the Sonic The Hedgehog 2 Nick Arcade Proto, it is already listed on the website as Sonic The Hedgehog 2 Beta. The CRC32 matches the one in your link.

eke-eke
Posts: 26
Joined: 25 Jul 2009 09:52

Re: Non-listed Genesis ROMs

Post by eke-eke » 12 Aug 2014 14:33

Special T wrote:It's funny you bumped this topic, I was actually looking at it this morning.

I'll look into adding them later today.
The ROM you added for Gunfight 3-in-1 is a patched ROM, I know because I cracked the protection for the guy who bought and dumped the cartridge.

The original dump does not work in PC emulators because the protection is not emulated but I guess no-intro would rather list the unmodified ROM in its database, right ?

link: http://s4.zetaboards.com/PGC_Forums/topic/9906990/1/

If you really are starting to add all those unlicensed games in no-intro, be aware that most of them had similar protections and ROMs floating around are patched to work on emulators, so testing on emulators or even flashcarts is not a guarantee that the dump is "verified".

hydr0x
Dumper
Posts: 907
Joined: 25 May 2008 15:31

Re: Non-listed Genesis ROMs

Post by hydr0x » 12 Aug 2014 15:53

Absolutely, the unmodified ROM should be in the DAT.

Special T
Datter
Posts: 20
Joined: 16 Apr 2009 05:07

Re: Non-listed Genesis ROMs

Post by Special T » 13 Aug 2014 02:48

eke-eke wrote:
Special T wrote:It's funny you bumped this topic, I was actually looking at it this morning.

I'll look into adding them later today.
The ROM you added for Gunfight 3-in-1 is a patched ROM, I know because I cracked the protection for the guy who bought and dumped the cartridge.

The original dump does not work in PC emulators because the protection is not emulated but I guess no-intro would rather list the unmodified ROM in its database, right ?

link: http://s4.zetaboards.com/PGC_Forums/topic/9906990/1/

If you really are starting to add all those unlicensed games in no-intro, be aware that most of them had similar protections and ROMs floating around are patched to work on emulators, so testing on emulators or even flashcarts is not a guarantee that the dump is "verified".
Thanks for catching that, I wasn't aware the one I uploaded was a patched copy. I'll work on getting it corrected later tonight.


***EDIT***

The hash information for Gunfight 3-in-1 has been updated to the raw dump, that you pointed to. If you notice any other discrepancies, please let me know.

KingMike
Posts: 372
Joined: 22 Sep 2012 16:36

Re: Non-listed Genesis ROMs

Post by KingMike » 14 Aug 2014 17:08

Stupid question but did anybody unzip those split files right?
I shouldn't have that much trouble but I tried 7zip, Windows built-in extractor and FilZip. I don't want to try too many more programs just for an unlicensed Genesis ROM that won't run anyways. :P

baldjared
Posts: 6
Joined: 26 May 2008 07:01

Re: Non-listed Genesis ROMs

Post by baldjared » 14 Aug 2014 19:47

I also tried 7zip, didn't seem to like it, so I gave up and let the clrmamepro rebuilder handle it and that didn't seem to have any problems.

Post Reply