It is currently 16 Dec 2017 17:31

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2016 04:30 

Hello!
This is my first post here as I registered just yesterday.

I'm a developer and lately during hobby time I spent some efforts in writing a rom manager in Java which wants to be compatible with all the miscellaneous formats around. The project has come up nicely and it's already able to verify / manage and organize roms from multiple providers.

Everything is based on plugins so if someone feels like helping the source code is available at https://github.com/Jakz/rom-manager.

In addition to this I'm working on another project which is still in Java (I'm not a Windows user and cross-platform support for archive files in C++ is rather time consuming, especially 7z) which will be a sort of GoodTools but by using No-Intro dats. So a command-line utility to verify and organize roms without much effort (I don't personally like clrmame pro that much). This one is open source too and available at https://github.com/Jakz/no-intro-tools.

Now I have two problems, the first problem is that I tried to automatically update dat files by downloading them from dat-o-matic but it seems like they are just generated on POST http requests so it's quite hard to manage everything, is there a way to download them by accessing directly an URL?

The second question is more philosophical, I don't know anything about the backend used to manage the database of roms but at the moment the miscellaneous informations about a game (region, languages, version, etc) are embedded in the rom name, they are not separated fields, at least in the downloadable dat files. This brings some severe limitations on the information gathered from the dat files that the manager (or the renamer) could use to rename and organize the files (suppose I want to mark Europe as EU or I don't want to specify the language in the rom name) so I was wondering if there is any way to know additional details on how the informations are stored and possibly work together to generate a custom format which both these tools could use.

The point is that I'd like to have a clean way to separate attributes for the game, mark clones or updated version without having to split rom names of clrmame no-intro dats which sounds fragile and unpractical in the end. That's why I'm looking for some synergy to be able to offer a simple tool which could do a great job.

Thanks!

Some screens of the rom manager just for fun:

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2016 16:24 
High Council

hello!
1) there is no direct download provided by DOM
2) you can load database-like data if your rommanager supports xml format like Offlinelist. DOM provides a tiny support to OL, not 100% tested.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2016 23:38 

1) I understand, so I guess that I won't be able to add automatic update of DATs to the application

2) I see that DOM provides some basic support to OL format but that wasn't my specific question, I was wondering how data is effectively stored in the database to understand how hard would be to provide a custom dat generation from the database. Unfortunately I don't know anything about the backend so I can't guess things, if it's written in PHP with a little bit of knowledge refresh I could surely try to extend the functionality of generation to suit the needs of my renamer/organizer but this wouldn't be possible without a sandbox environment to work on (eg. a dummy version of the database). Even OL format has its limits (eg. you can't specify clones IIRC) and I would like to start from scratches without the constant need to adapt what DOT generates to suit format which lacks one functionality or another.

Thanks for considering me :)

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2016 04:11 

I know its pretty off but "Metal Max 2 - Kai Version"?
That's a pretty strange misnaming ("Metal Max 2 Kai" means Metal Max 2 Renewal as it was a port, I assume with some update, of a SFC game).