It is currently 11 Dec 2017 19:47

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017 18:02 
Offline

Joined: 06 Sep 2017 15:12
Posts: 8
I've been going through a lot of system P/C dat files in DAT-o-MATIC and comparing to existing data online regarding releases and regions. I've compiled a list of differences between No-Intro and the major sites for each system. I tried to find multiple sources before bringing any of these up so if you see something I missed, please let me know.

Atari 2600:
All of these were compared to Atarimania, the expert when it comes to Atari 2600.
Acid Drop (USA) - Europe release. Needs USA region removed.
Action Force (USA) - Europe release. Needs USA region removed.
Apples and Dolls (USA) - Brazil release. Needs USA region removed.
Asterix - Missing. Needs to be added.
Astrowar (USA) - Europe release. Needs USA region removed.
Base Attack (USA) - Europe release. Needs USA region removed.
Bogey Blaster - Missing. Needs to be added.
Bobby is Going Home (USA) - Brazil/Europe release, Pirate in US. Needs USA region removed.
Burning Desire - Missing. Double ended cart with Bachelorette Party. Needs to be added.
Cat Trax (USA) - Proto. Needs Proto flag added.
Challenge (USA) - Canada only release. Needs USA region removed.
Cosmic Corridor - Missing. Needs to be added.
Cruise Missile - Missing. Needs to be added.
Dancing Plate (USA) - Brazil/Europe release. Needs USA region removed.
Defender II - Missing. Needs to be added.
Dukes of Hazzard (USA) - Proto. Needs Proto flag added.
Exocet - Missing. Needs to be added.
Extra Terrestrials (USA) - Canada only release. Needs USA region removed.
Farmyard Fun (USA) - Europe release. Needs USA region removed.
Fatal Run (USA) - Proto. Needs Proto flag added.
Fire Spinner (USA) - Proto, should be named Spinning Fireball. Needs to be renamed and Proto flag added.
Frisco (USA) - Europe release. Needs USA region removed.
Gigolo - Missing. Double ended cart with Bachelor Party. Needs to be added.
Go Go Home Monster (USA) - Europe release. Needs USA region removed.
Harbor Escape - Missing. Needs to be added.
Hole Hunter (USA) - Europe release. Needs USA region removed.
I.Q. 180 (USA) - Duplicate of IQ 180. Needs to be removed.
IQ 180 (USA) - Europe release. Needs USA region removed.
Klax (USA) - Proto. Needs Proto flag added.
Knight on the Town - Missing. Double ended cart with Jungle Fever. Needs to be added.
Lilly Adventure (USA) - Europe release. Needs USA region removed.
MegaBoy (USA) - Brazil release. Needs USA region removed.
Mind Maze (USA) - Proto. Needs Proto flag added.
Mission 3,000 A.D. (USA) - Europe release, Pirate in US. Needs USA region removed.
Motocross (USA) - Brazil/Europe release. Needs USA region removed.
Mr. Postman (USA) - Brazil/Europe release. Needs USA region removed.
Nuts (USA) - Germany release. Needs USA region removed.
Pepsi Invaders - Missing. Needs to be added.
Phantom UFO (USA) - Europe release. Needs USA region removed.
Pharaoh's Curse (USA) - Germany release. Needs USA region removed.
Philly Flasher - Missing. Needs to be added.
Racing Car (USA) - Europe release. Needs USA region removed.
Radar (USA) - Canada only release. Needs USA region removed.
Raumpatrouille (USA) - Germany release. Needs USA region removed.
Rubik's Cube - Missing. Needs to be added.
Save our Ship (USA) - Germany release. Needs USA region removed.
Sea Battle (USA) - Proto. Needs Proto flag added.
Sea Monster (USA) - Europe release. Needs USA region removed.
Shark Attack - Missing. Needs to be added.
Ski Run (USA) - Europe release. Needs USA region removed.
Space Canyon - Missing. Needs to be added.
Space Tunnel (USA) - Brazil/Europe release. Needs USA region removed.
Spiderdroid - Missing. Needs to be added.
Spider Maze (USA) - Canada only release. Needs USA region removed.
Squirrel (USA) - Brazil release. Needs USA region removed.
Stone Age (USA) - Brazil release. Needs USA region removed.
Sweat! The Decathlon Game (USA) - Proto. Needs Proto flag added.
Swordfight (USA) - Proto. Needs Proto flag added.
Tank Brigade - Missing. Needs to be added.
Task Force - Missing. Needs to be added.
Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The - Missing. Needs to be added.
Time Warp (USA) - Canada only release. Needs USA region removed.
Vault Assault (USA) (Unl) - Homebrew. Needs to be removed.
World End (USA) - Brazil/Europe release. Needs USA region removed.
Zoo Fun (USA) - Europe release. Needs USA region removed.

Atari 5200:
Castle Blast (USA) (Unl) - Homebrew according to AtariAge. Needs to be removed.
Castle Crisis (USA) (Unl) - Same reason as Castle Blast. Needs to be removed.
Koffi - Yellow Kopter (USA) (Unl) - Same reason as Castle Blast. Needs to be removed.
Realsports Basketball (USA) - Never commercially released according to AtariAge. Needs the Proto flag added.

Atari Jaguar:
BattleSphere Gold (World) - Homebrew according to AtariAge. Needs to be removed.
Breakout 2000 - This game has been dumped, but I don't see it in No-Intro. Needs to be added.
Hyper Force (World) - Released by Songbird Productions, a Homebrew and Repro company. Most of his Lynx games aren't in No-Intro. Needs to be removed.
Protector - Special Edition (World) - Same reason as Hyper Force. Needs to be removed.
Skyhammer (World) - Same reason as Hyper Force. Needs to be removed.
Soccer Kid (World) - Same reason as Hyper Force. Needs to be removed.
Space War 2000 (World) - Reproduction of a Proto according to AtariAge. Needs to be removed.
Total Carnage (World) - Same reason as Hyper Force. Needs to be removed.

Atari Lynx:
Lexis - Released by Songbird Productions, a Homebrew and Repro company. This is the only Lynx game of his in No-Intro. Needs to be removed.

Game Boy:
NBA Jam (USA, Europe) - This is listed as a clone of NBA Jam - Tournament Edition (USA, Europe). Game Gear, SNES, and Genesis/Mega Drive have it listed as a separate game. Needs to be separated from its parent.

Game Boy Advance:
GBA Personal Organizer (USA) (Unl) - Released only in Europe according to NintendoAge. Needs USA region changed to EUR.
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It,Nl,Da) - Released in Europe and USA according to NintendoAge. Needs USA region added.

Game Boy Color:
4 in 1 + 8 in 1 (World) - Not released in the USA. Needs USA region removed.
Jurassic Boy 2 (World) - Same reason as the 4 in 1's. Needs USA region removed.

Game Gear:
Alien Syndrome (USA, Europe) - Released in Japan and Europe according to Sega Retro. Needs USA region changed to JPN.
Cheese Cat-Astrophe Starring Speedy Gonzales (Europe) - Released in Europe and USA according to Sega Retro. Needs USA region added.
CJ Elephant Fugitive (Europe) - Same as Cheese Cat-Astrophe Starring Speedy Gonzales. Needs USA region added.
Cosmic Spacehead (Europe) - Same as Cheese Cat-Astrophe Starring Speedy Gonzales. Needs USA region added.
Fantastic Dizzy (Europe) (En,Fr,De,Es,It) - Same as Cheese Cat-Astrophe Starring Speedy Gonzales. Needs USA region added.
Mick & Mack as the Global Gladiators (USA, Europe) - Released only in Europe according to Sega Retro. Needs USA region removed.
Micro Machines (Europe) - Same as Cheese Cat-Astrophe Starring Speedy Gonzales. Needs USA region added.
Pengo (USA, Europe) - Same as Alien Syndrome. Needs USA region changed to JPN.
WWF Wrestlemania - Steel Cage Challenge (Europe) - Same as Cheese Cat-Astrophe Starring Speedy Gonzales. Needs USA region added.

Genesis/Mega Drive:
Bass Masters Classic (USA) - This is listed as a clone of Bass Masters Classsic - Pro Edition (USA). SNES has it listed it as a separate game. Needs to be separated from its parent.
Captain Planet and the Planeteers (USA) - Released in Brazil instead of USA according to Sega Retro. Needs USA region changed to BRA.
Gunfight 3 in 1 (World) (Unl) - Chinese Pirate not released in USA. Needs USA region removed and Pirate flag added.
John Madden Football '93 (USA, Europe) - This is listed as the parent of John Madden Football - Championship Edition (USA). The Championship Edition includes All-Madden teams, one with All-Time players and another with 1992 players, whereas this version doesn't. Needs to be separated from its parent.
Mega Games I (Europe) - I didn't see the US version, titled Triple Score, listed in No-Intro. The USA version has boxart where World Cup Italia '90 is replaced with World Championship Soccer, but the rom is the exact same as the Europe release. Needs to be added again as Triple Score with USA region (or however No-Intro handles different names across regions).
Beggar Prince, Legend of Wukong, Oh Mummy Genesis, Pier Solar and the Great Architects, Star Odyssey - Either Repro's with English translations or Homebrews. Needs to be removed.

NES:
Cheetahmen II (USA) (Unl) - Only 6 of 10 levels were made and it was never officially released or commercially available from the manufacturer. Needs Proto flag added.
Hot Slots (Asia) (Unl) - Released in USA according to NintendoAge. Needs USA region added.
Peek-A-Boo (Asia) (Unl) - Same reason as Hot Slots. Needs USA region added.

NGPC:
Faseleil! (Europe) - Released in USA via blister pack bundled with the handheld when SNK was liquidating their stock. Needs USA region added.
Last Blade, The - Beyond the Destiny (Europe) - Same reason as Faseleil. Needs USA region added.
Neo Baccarat - Real Casino Series (World) - Not released in USA. Needs USA region removed.
Picture Puzzle (USA, Europe) - Same reason as Neo Baccarat - Real Casino Series. Needs USA region removed.
Puzzle Link (Europe) - Same reason as Faseleil. Needs USA region added.

SNES:
Donkey Kong Country - Competition Cartridge (USA) - This is listed as a clone of Donkey Kong Country. This is a 5 minute timed version of Donkey Kong Country used in the PowerFest 94 competition. Other PowerFest 94 games are listed as separate games. Needs to be separated from its parent.
International Superstar Soccer (USA) - No proof this was released in USA and most sites say it was released in Central America or Mexico instead, like Super Copa, which isn't listed as USA. Needs USA region changed to BRA (or Mexico).
International Superstar Soccer Deluxe (USA) - Same reason as International Superstar Soccer. Needs USA region changed to BRA (or Mexico).
Star Fox - Super Weekend (USA) - This is listed as a clone of Star Fox. This is a 4 minute timed version of Star Fox and has an exclusive bonus level that the original is missing. It was also commercially available through Nintendo Power magazine. Needs to be separated from its parent.
King of Fighters 2000 (Has USA region even though it is a Brazil only release), Picachu, Pokemon Stadium, Soul Blade, Street Fighter EX, Tekken 2, X-Men vs. Street Fighter - Pirate games. Needs to be removed.

Vectrex:
Mr. Boston Clean Sweep (Europe) - Released in USA. Needs EUR region changed to USA.

The other thing I was going to ask about is what differentiates between a P/C and a different game. The below games are the ones I question:
[GBA] Battlebots - Design & Destroy - Re-release of Battlebots - Beyond the BattleBox, but with a few bug fixes. It was marketed as the "sequel" to the original.
[NES] Bubble Bath Babes - Adult version of Mermaids of Atlantis - The Riddle of the Magic Bubble released by Panesian.
[NES] Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! - Original release of Punch Out!! before they decided to drop his character after he lost to James "Buster" Douglas.
[NES] Stadium Events - Original release of World Class Track Meet before Nintendo owned the rights to the Family Fun Fitness mat.
[SNES] Cannondale Cup - Release of Exertainment Mountain Bike Rally that doesn't require the Exertainment system.
[Vectrex] Mine Storm - Original release of Mine Storm II before the level 13 bug was fixed.

Again, these are the differences I found when comparing to the major websites for each system. I could be out of line with how No-Intro sees things so please let me know if some of these are this way on purpose.


Last edited by nicholaus on 26 Sep 2017 21:00, edited 21 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017 20:03 
Offline
Datter
User avatar

Joined: 17 Jun 2009 04:42
Posts: 292
Thanks for this research (and your other suggestions on the DOM). :3 A lot of good stuff here.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017 21:16 
Offline

Joined: 06 Sep 2017 15:12
Posts: 8
C. V. Reynolds wrote:
Thanks for this research (and your other suggestions on the DOM). :3 A lot of good stuff here.


Thanks. I added Atari 5200 and Jaguar to the first post as well. Will go through Game Gear when I can find the time.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2017 02:25 
Offline

Joined: 22 Sep 2012 16:36
Posts: 332
nicholaus wrote:
SNES:
Donkey Kong Country - Competition Cartridge (USA) - This is listed as a clone of Donkey Kong Country. This is a 5 minute timed version of Donkey Kong Country used in the PowerFest 94 competition. The other PowerFest 94 games are listed so I think this one should be as well.

There really is only one Powerfest '94 game (well, two variations. But one has been only privately dumped). For whatever reason, the dumper on PF94 dumped each of the ROMs on the cart as a separate game but they should run together, much like the Nintendo World Championships games.
I'm not certain on this since I didn't participate but I thought DKC was a separate contest. Possibly one run by Blockbuster? (which would explain why they needed a couple thousand copies, one for each store)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2017 03:37 
Offline

Joined: 06 Sep 2017 15:12
Posts: 8
KingMike wrote:
nicholaus wrote:
SNES:
Donkey Kong Country - Competition Cartridge (USA) - This is listed as a clone of Donkey Kong Country. This is a 5 minute timed version of Donkey Kong Country used in the PowerFest 94 competition. The other PowerFest 94 games are listed so I think this one should be as well.

There really is only one Powerfest '94 game (well, two variations. But one has been only privately dumped). For whatever reason, the dumper on PF94 dumped each of the ROMs on the cart as a separate game but they should run together, much like the Nintendo World Championships games.
I'm not certain on this since I didn't participate but I thought DKC was a separate contest. Possibly one run by Blockbuster? (which would explain why they needed a couple thousand copies, one for each store)


I believe it was used in both Powerfest 94 and Blockbuster II, but could be wrong. Campus Challenge 92 has also been dumped into separate roms like Powerfest, but I think it was dumped from a repro cart and not the original source so I'm not sure how No-Intro would like to handle it.

I think it's dumped into multiple roms because each game is on it's own EPROM.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2017 11:18 
Offline
Datter
User avatar

Joined: 04 Oct 2010 06:51
Posts: 158
What is the purpose of this thread? Do you want us to remove the listed games?

Quote:
Game Boy Color:
4 in 1 + 8 in 1 (World) - There's 5 of these. I haven't seen anything about these seeing a release in the US.
Jurassic Boy 2 (World) - I haven't seen anything about this seeing a release in the US.


What exactly is your point about these? Are you implying the region shouldn't be "World", because these games haven't seen a US release? The ROMs are the same for the two territories the games were released in, Taiwan and Europe, and hence are "World" releases.
There are many Game Boy games that are marked World but were not released in one or two territories. Off the top of my head, Alleyway, which did not see a China release.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2017 17:46 
Offline

Joined: 22 Sep 2012 16:36
Posts: 332
Tauwasser wrote:
What is the purpose of this thread? Do you want us to remove the listed games?

Quote:
Game Boy Color:
4 in 1 + 8 in 1 (World) - There's 5 of these. I haven't seen anything about these seeing a release in the US.
Jurassic Boy 2 (World) - I haven't seen anything about this seeing a release in the US.


What exactly is your point about these? Are you implying the region shouldn't be "World", because these games haven't seen a US release? The ROMs are the same for the two territories the games were released in, Taiwan and Europe, and hence are "World" releases.
There are many Game Boy games that are marked World but were not released in one or two territories. Off the top of my head, Alleyway, which did not see a China release.


My guess is "World" has an implication of release in all three of the largest console video game markets: Japan, US/North America and "Europe".


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2017 18:55 
Offline

Joined: 06 Sep 2017 15:12
Posts: 8
Tauwasser wrote:
What is the purpose of this thread? Do you want us to remove the listed games?

Quote:
Game Boy Color:
4 in 1 + 8 in 1 (World) - There's 5 of these. I haven't seen anything about these seeing a release in the US.
Jurassic Boy 2 (World) - I haven't seen anything about this seeing a release in the US.


What exactly is your point about these? Are you implying the region shouldn't be "World", because these games haven't seen a US release? The ROMs are the same for the two territories the games were released in, Taiwan and Europe, and hence are "World" releases.
There are many Game Boy games that are marked World but were not released in one or two territories. Off the top of my head, Alleyway, which did not see a China release.


The thread is meant to point out inconsistencies I see in the P/C dat files. Specifically, in the GBC ones you pointed out, you're correct that they were released in Taiwan and Europe, but the P/C dat file has USA listed for it as well. I don't have a problem with it being listed World, but it seems some of the P/C dat files assume that USA is a region for some "World" releases when that's not the case. This thread was me pointing out what looks wrong. I may be off on some or most of these and that's fine, I just wanted to post what I saw in case some of these are incorrectly listed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2017 02:28 
Offline
Datter
User avatar

Joined: 04 Oct 2010 06:51
Posts: 158
nicholaus wrote:
The thread is meant to point out inconsistencies I see in the P/C dat files. Specifically, in the GBC ones you pointed out, you're correct that they were released in Taiwan and Europe, but the P/C dat file has USA listed for it as well. I don't have a problem with it being listed World, but it seems some of the P/C dat files assume that USA is a region for some "World" releases when that's not the case.


Ah, I wasn't aware of the P/C entries that are auto-generated. I see "(EUR PARENT) (USA PARENT) (JPN PARENT)" in the Reg. Parent field. It might well be derived from selecting World region in the drop-down list. Before changing anything tho, I'd like some input if changing this manually will corrupt the DAT creation or if the field is updated regularly from the drop-down selection (if that's what causes it in the first place).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2017 14:08 
Offline

Joined: 06 Sep 2017 15:12
Posts: 8
Awesome. The other issues are mainly just inconsistencies. Jaguar has a few games released from Songbird Productions whereas most of his Lynx stuff isn't listed. I consider them a homebrew since they were founded after the system lifespan, but some may not. GB NBA Jam has a parent of NBA Jam TE when all other consoles list them as separate. SNES DKC Competiton has a parent of DKC when Powerfest 94 has each game separate from their parent. Mainly things like that plus a few regions I question.

Also added Game Gear to the first post.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2017 15:25 
Offline

Joined: 06 Sep 2017 15:12
Posts: 8
I cleaned up the first post and added Atari 2600. There were quite a few Atari 2600 roms incorrect or outdated. The post should now be clear as to what needs to be done. If anyone wants to verify the information I posted so the No-Intro community can have more accurate rom data, that would be appreciated.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 03 Oct 2017 11:42 
Offline

Joined: 05 Jun 2008 01:34
Posts: 244
nicholaus wrote:
SNES:
Donkey Kong Country - Competition Cartridge (USA) - This is listed as a clone of Donkey Kong Country. This is a 5 minute timed version of Donkey Kong Country used in the PowerFest 94 competition. Other PowerFest 94 games are listed as separate games. Needs to be separated from its parent.
International Superstar Soccer (USA) - No proof this was released in USA and most sites say it was released in Central America or Mexico instead, like Super Copa, which isn't listed as USA. Needs USA region changed to BRA (or Mexico).
International Superstar Soccer Deluxe (USA) - Same reason as International Superstar Soccer. Needs USA region changed to BRA (or Mexico).
Star Fox - Super Weekend (USA) - This is listed as a clone of Star Fox. This is a 4 minute timed version of Star Fox and has an exclusive bonus level that the original is missing. It was also commercially available through Nintendo Power magazine. Needs to be separated from its parent.


Regarding Super Copa and International Superstar Soccer and International Superstar Soccer Deluxe, the packaging for these games is identical to any game released in the US. To say that they weren't released in the US is pure speculation on the part of collectors. We have no evidence that they were not released in the US, although obviously it would have been in small numbers if it was, given their rarity. For consistency, I would argue they should keep the USA label.

"Star Fox - Super Weekend" is an incorrect title. It should be Super Star Fox Weekend, as per the marketing materials.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 03 Oct 2017 23:12 
Offline

Joined: 06 Sep 2017 15:12
Posts: 8
badinsults wrote:
Regarding Super Copa and International Superstar Soccer and International Superstar Soccer Deluxe, the packaging for these games is identical to any game released in the US. To say that they weren't released in the US is pure speculation on the part of collectors. We have no evidence that they were not released in the US, although obviously it would have been in small numbers if it was, given their rarity. For consistency, I would argue they should keep the USA label.


I'm cool either way. I threw out both ISS and ISSD since they were packaged like Super Copa and Super Copa didn't have a USA region, but I'm good with adding the USA region to Super Copa. I just wanted to bring up that they weren't consistent.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 04 Oct 2017 07:24 
Offline

Joined: 05 Jun 2008 01:34
Posts: 244
nicholaus wrote:
badinsults wrote:
Regarding Super Copa and International Superstar Soccer and International Superstar Soccer Deluxe, the packaging for these games is identical to any game released in the US. To say that they weren't released in the US is pure speculation on the part of collectors. We have no evidence that they were not released in the US, although obviously it would have been in small numbers if it was, given their rarity. For consistency, I would argue they should keep the USA label.


I'm cool either way. I threw out both ISS and ISSD since they were packaged like Super Copa and Super Copa didn't have a USA region, but I'm good with adding the USA region to Super Copa. I just wanted to bring up that they weren't consistent.


Super Copa does have a US region, though.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 05 Oct 2017 00:38 
Offline

Joined: 06 Sep 2017 15:12
Posts: 8
badinsults wrote:
Super Copa does have a US region, though.


Not in the P/C dat file.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group