It is currently 19 Feb 2018 01:03

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2018 18:36 

I was poking around the SmokeMonster ROM set when I noticed that Star Wars Rogue Squadron was listed as "Rev A." I immediately saw the difference: The Naboo Starfighter was unlocked. SmokeMonster bases his set on No-Intro releases.

Now, the Naboo Starfighter in Rogue Squadron was a big deal back in the day. It was noteworthy because Star Wars Episode I The Phantom Menace had not been released and details were still fiercely guarded, yet they had this ship with narrated details hiding in the game for several months. It was so well hidden so well that even hackers and most of the devs were unaware. It wasn't even unlocked the same way as other unlockable ships and it required two fake rejections with very cryptic inputs. They even scrambled the ROM in ways to make it difficult to find with a cheat device or ROM hacking. The public had no idea until the cheat was announced.

You can still find all kinds of articles about this. What I don't find is any discussion of a revision except people discussing this ROM of unknown origin. Something this notable would have been discussed when the revision was first identified. If they had any intention of revising it then it would have been done before the Player's Choice re-release, so I hope to compare soon (if I can find mine). Some people possibly took that as a challenge and attempted to hack the ROM. If it isn't a ROM hack then it could be from a later release in another NTSC region.

Despite having a few vestigial files from the N64 version, the PC version (Star Wars Rogue Squadron 3D) had the Naboo Starfighter assets completely stripped out of the game. They DEFINITELY didn't want anyone finding out about it there! It was later added back with a patch.