N64 Rename suggestions

Post all database contributions here.
Connie

N64 Rename suggestions

Post by Connie » 18 Mar 2009 00:28

I've been doing a bit more work on my GBAfront databases and artwork lately, and came across some wrong naming in the N64. Most of these are probably due to them being based on Title screens (which I still believe is more accurate in terms of ROM preservation) and is what IIRC, Solidsnake based the naming on.

Excuse my 'OldSk00l' naming convention as I didn't see any point updating my database with the new region tags if a lot of renames where to take place. Anyway, I think you'll get the jist of my format and what to look for in your dat. If you need Box fronts or Title screens for any verifcation, lemme know.

Bomberman 64 (J) (Arcade Edition)
>>> "Bomberman 64 (Arcade Edition) (J)" - If 'Arcade Edition' is on the box, then it should be moved here. Otherwise, why is it used?

Extreme-G XG2
>>> "Extreme-G - XG2" - I think a '-' hyphen should be added because it's the second game in the series.

FIFA Soccer 64 (E) (M3)
>>> "FIFA 64 (E) (M3)" - 'Soccer' is not used for Euro version and is only used on the USA box.

FIFA - Road to World Cup 98
>>> "FIFA 98 - Road to World Cup" - I think it should be written like this. The Title Screen shows it better. Also, is 'World Cup heno Michi' needed on the Jap version?

Forsaken 64
>>> "Forsaken" - No '64' is used in euro Box or any Title Screens (not sure about German box). '64' is only used on USA box.

Kobe Bryant's NBA Courtside (U)
>>> "Kobe Bryant in NBA Courtside" - as per Box and Euro version. (was based on Title screen)

Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits Vol. 1 (U)
>>> "Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits - Volume 1 (U)" - 'Volume' isn't abreviated to Vol. on box. Hyphenate 'Volume 1' as though it's a series.

Mission Impossible
>>> "Mission - Impossible" - All Boxes and Title Screens use 'Mission: Impossible'. The ':' colon should be replaced with a '-' hyphen as per all other naming.

NBA Hangtime
>>> "NBA Hang Time" - 'Hangtime' should be split into two words.

NFL Quarterback Club 2001 (U)
>>> "NFL QB Club 2001 (U)" - As per Box and Title screen.

Olympic Hockey Nagano '98
>>> "Olympic Hockey Nagano 98" - No ' appostrophy used in Box or Title Screens.

Puyo Puyo 4 - Puyo Puyon Party (Japan)
>>> "Puyo Puyo 4/Sun - Party (Japan)" - I don't know where 'Puyo Puyon' comes from???

Quake 64 (E)
Quake 64 (U)
>>> "Quake" - No '64' is used on the Boxes or Title Screens.

Rat Attack! (E) (En,Fr,De,Es,It,Nl)
>>> "Rat Attack (E) (En,Fr,De,Es,It,Nl)" - No ! exclamation mark used on Euro box or Title Screen. Only '!' used on USA box.

Rat Attack! (U) (M6)
>>> "Rat Attack! (U)" - Can't find language options.

Snobo Kids (J)
>>> "Snobow Kids (J)" - 'Snobow' is used on the Box and Title screen, presumably the 'translation'.

Super Mario 64 (J) (Rev C) (Shindou Edition)
>>> "Super Mario 64 (Shindou Edition) (J) (Rev C)" - I think that the rumble pak edition should be part of the 'game' name, not a ROM/cart identifier. The fact that it becomes part of the game title helps establish why there is a ROM revision. I think it's used on the boxes too.

Turok 3 - Shadow of Oblivion (U) (Beta)
>>> Turok 3 - Shadow of Oblivion (G) (Beta) - Internal serial shows 'NSED' which appears genuine because it falls between 'Shadow Man' & 'SF Rush'. Also consider that there is a specific 'German only' release for all other Turok series games.

Wave Race 64 (Japan) (Rev B) (Shindou Edition)
>>> "Wave Race 64 (Shindou Edition) (Japan) (Rev B)" - As per Super Mario 64 (J).

Xena - Warrior Princess - The Talisman of Fate (E)
>>> "Xena - Warrior Princess" - No 'The Talisman of Fate' used on euro Box or Cartidge.

Always happy to help! :gba:

Powerpuff
Datter

Re: N64 Rename suggestions

Post by Powerpuff » 18 Mar 2009 06:37

Puyo Puyo 4 - Puyo Puyon Party (Japan)
>>> "Puyo Puyo 4/Sun - Party (Japan)" - I don't know where 'Puyo Puyon' comes from???
Puyo Puyo Sun = the 3rd Puyo Puyo game
Puyo Puyon = the 4th Puyo Puyo game

"Puyo Puyo 4/Sun" would be wrong.

more infos at Hardcore Gaming 101

BigFred
High Council

Post by BigFred » 18 Mar 2009 19:14

Here is the list from nekokabu's rom renamer (J games only). Mabye we could discuss the differences to our db.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Connie

Post by Connie » 19 Mar 2009 03:07

We're renaming as per the box. My point is that the existing title "Puyo Puyo 4 - Puyo Puyon Party" can't be formed from the Kanji on the cover.

4 is shown and I think should be used. The odd romanisation is "??" to "n". Usually the ~ (tide) would be used for an 'extended' vowel. So maybe "Puyo Puyoon 4 - Party"?
and "Puyo Puyo Sun 64" should become "Puyo Puyo - Sun 64"?

NGEfreak
High Council

Post by NGEfreak » 19 Mar 2009 09:02

Connie wrote:We're renaming as per the box. My point is that the existing title "Puyo Puyo 4 - Puyo Puyon Party" can't be formed from the Kanji on the cover.

4 is shown and I think should be used. The odd romanisation is "??" to "n". Usually the ~ (tide) would be used for an 'extended' vowel. So maybe "Puyo Puyoon 4 - Party"?
and "Puyo Puyo Sun 64" should become "Puyo Puyo - Sun 64"?
Official titles are ??????????? and ????SUN64.

It's unnecessary to include the series numbers since they are already present in the title as puns.

????SUN64 -> san (?) -> 3
??????????? -> yon (?) -> 4

The second title of the game series has a similar pun:

????? -> tsuu (??) -> 2

So, I'm voting for these titles:

Puyo Puyo Sun 64
Puyo Puyo~n Party

kazumi213
High Council

Post by kazumi213 » 19 Mar 2009 14:59

NGEfreak wrote: Official titles are ??????????? and ????SUN64.

(...)

So, I'm voting for these titles:

Puyo Puyo Sun 64
Puyo Puyo~n Party
I have no access to boxarts, but according to official titles I agree with NGEfreak's suggestions, except in the usage of the tilde "~" character. I've seen using this in some DATs, and while there is the convention rule of trying to match original characters, using the tilde as a punctuation mark (instead of hyphen/dash) is wrong. Tilde is a diacritic mark from the "romanized" point of view (wiki), not a punctuation one, plus it has some special filename uses.

Official title (as many other japanese ones) use the wave dash character "?" (Unicode U+301C). Usage in japanese:

In Japanese, the wave dash is also used to separate a title and a subtitle in the same line, as a colon is used in English.

When used in conversations via email or instant messenger it may be used as a sarcasm mark[citation needed] or, in East Asia, as an extension of the final syllable to produce the same effect as “whyyyyyy” with “why??”. Used at the end of a word or sentence in text communications, it often denotes something said in a sing-song voice, or similar to the use in instant messengers and email, depending on context.

See also this.

So my point is: if we are romanizing, and the original character (given its fuction) has a corresponding "western" one, the western character should be used for consistency.

On this case I'd say that the wave dash it's just working as an hyphen, trying to "link" the original "yo" in "Puyo" with an additional "n" to create the "yon" (4) pun. So I'd suggest simply using:

Puyo Puyo-n Party

Connie

Post by Connie » 19 Mar 2009 21:20

I think you can scratch "Quake 64" from my list too. Although title and box don't mention '64', I dug out my cart box and made a scan for you. It seems the game wasn't just 'ported', but re-developed specifically for Nintendo. I think this warrants the use of '64' in the title?

hydr0x
Dumper

Post by hydr0x » 19 Mar 2009 22:08

Connie wrote:I think you can scratch "Quake 64" from my list too. Although title and box don't mention '64', I dug out my cart box and made a scan for you. It seems the game wasn't just 'ported', but re-developed specifically for Nintendo. I think this warrants the use of '64' in the title?

Imho, it doesn't. Box AND title have no 64? Why then should we include it? Should we rename every changed DS update of an old game to X DS ?! Names are created by the game publisher, not by us.

Connie

Post by Connie » 26 Mar 2009 16:20

I've just updated the box fronts for the 4 Pocket Monsters and I've noticed that there should be an apostrophy after the word "Monsters". It appears on both box and title screen where monsters is used. So:

"Pocket Monsters' Snap"
"Pocket Monsters' Stadium"
"Pocket Monsters' Stadium 2"
"Pocket Monsters' Stadium Kin Gin"

I had a quick look through the GB/C/A versions and didn't notice the use of it. However, I think the naming should be revised on how the 'colour' series is used. The USA/Europe versions use "Pokemon - colour Version" so shouldn't the JAP versions use "Pocket Monsters - colour"?

Connie

Post by Connie » 15 Jun 2009 00:20

Not a lot seems to be happening on the response to my post above regarding the Pocket Monsters' naming.

Is this not an apostrophy? It looks likes the plural use of "Pocket Monsters".

As a side note, I've maintained the z64 format dat because I never saw any reason to convert all the dumps to the No-Intro byteswapped format. If xuom2 can find the time, would it be possible to implement a "Big Endian - Z64" format CRC/hash entry into the database so that people can generate a 'z64' or 'n64' dat from the Dat-O-Matic?

Considering you have an Encrypted/Decrypted DS format, I thought it would be nice to add a Big Endian z64 format for Nintendo 64.

Lemme know and I'll check the naming and PM you the dat.

michal99
Dumper

Post by michal99 » 15 Jun 2009 00:42

Connie wrote:Not a lot seems to be happening on the response to my post above regarding the Pocket Monsters' naming.

Is this not an apostrophy? It looks likes the plural use of "Pocket Monsters".

As a side note, I've maintained the z64 format dat because I never saw any reason to convert all the dumps to the No-Intro byteswapped format. If xuom2 can find the time, would it be possible to implement a "Big Endian - Z64" format CRC/hash entry into the database so that people can generate a 'z64' or 'n64' dat from the Dat-O-Matic?

Considering you have an Encrypted/Decrypted DS format, I thought it would be nice to add a Big Endian z64 format for Nintendo 64.

Lemme know and I'll check the naming and PM you the dat.
The reason is that z64 format is not the state the rom is store in the chip. Same like Genesis. The byteswap is done by the dumper/backup unit used in that time.

kazumi213
High Council

Post by kazumi213 » 15 Jun 2009 11:44

I think that one of the headers supplied in CMPro distribution allows to validate .z64 format ROMs when using No-Intro DAT.

Connie

Post by Connie » 15 Jun 2009 13:35

Yes, but this isn't the same as having a downloadable dat file. You cater for a multitude of downloadable dat variations, so why not add support for different 'dump' formats? Not everyone is savvy when it comes to ROM byte conversions but also, wouldn't it be beneficial to have this alternative CRC/hash info stored in the database just as you do with DS?

kazumi213
High Council

Post by kazumi213 » 15 Jun 2009 14:14

When it comes to hashes I'd like to think that we are consistent with our findings and leave no place for ambiguity. We maintain the DS encrypted DAT because we probably end up using it alone in the future. A z64 format DAT would be wrong and unnecessary, much like maintaining a scene-dumps GBA DAT.

Please, remember all your hard work finding correct format for the Amiga ROM dumps.

ElBarto
Datter

Post by ElBarto » 15 Jun 2009 15:03

And most of the tools for linker support on-the-fly byteswapping so it's useless to deal with more than one format for each systems.