The -GPS code

Post all database contributions here.
hydr0x
Dumper

The -GPS code

Post by hydr0x » 02 Jun 2009 11:53

So, apparently no one has the slightest idea where -GPS Nintendo games come from. Before the ones MikeHaggar dumped I only knew of one but today I stumbled upon this DKC2 picture in my folders. I had also marked it as a strange manual variation but looking at it with the new knowledge the code seen on the manual MIGHT be -GPS. Does anyone recognize the currency on the price tag?

Tori
Dumper

Re: The -GPS code

Post by Tori » 02 Jun 2009 12:45

I can't read the currency, but by looking a little on the web, I found mainly swedish and german pages about -GPS serials (e.g. a german Chessmaster on NES)... and there : http://www.tradera.com/Snes-PAL-Donkey- ... n_89551550 , the seller says that the manual has swedish text as well as english... GPS could be an alternate Scandinavian serial or a specifically Swedish serial ?

Tori.

hydr0x
Dumper

Post by hydr0x » 02 Jun 2009 13:16

- removing earlier post in light of new info -

here's a link to nintendoage that explains it all :)

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messag ... readid=454

JohnDie
Dumper

Post by JohnDie » 03 Jun 2009 18:20

How funny, I was just going to post about the -GPS code as well. I was visiting a friend of mine yesterday (hydr0x knows him, too) and he had an original shipping box with 6 Kirby's Ghost Traps games inside. The shipping box has a GPS printed outside, so I checked the games. The cartridges have SNSP-PQ-GPS, the game box also has the -GPS on its flap. Manual and box are printed in English. It's a version sold in Italy, imported by Gigi, with a hologram seal sticked to the side.

If pictures are needed, let me know and I'll post the photos I took of the games.

So that would be such a low volume import as well, it has an additional manual in Italian as well in the box. That makes sense!

Good find, hydr0x!

EDIT: Just to be absolutely correct about that "sold in Italy" bit: I did NOT see it in an Italian store. I judged that from the packaging (stickers and manuals).

hydr0x
Dumper

Post by hydr0x » 03 Jun 2009 18:38

I found more of the GPS games and it really seems like they were meant for universal use and the local distributor should include an additional manual. This seems to have been used in Italy, Spain and Scandinavia.

Ask our friend if he wants to sell me one of those ;)

edit: oh yeah, photos are absolutely welcome. I'm collecting all of them right now (the photos), already at >800 unique PAL cartridges, haven't really tackled boxes yet.

badinsults

Post by badinsults » 03 Jun 2009 23:06

General Pal System (snes)?

hydr0x
Dumper

Post by hydr0x » 04 Jun 2009 01:00

badinsults wrote:General Pal System (snes)?
Not a bad guess. Btw, if you still want the Super Play scans, just pm me your address and I'll post them within a week or so. If the shipping will be more expensive than I expect (<4€) I'd appreciate a small financial help via PayPal but I don't think it will.

alcoatjez

Post by alcoatjez » 08 Jun 2009 22:06

JohnDie wrote:It's a version sold in Italy, imported by Gigi, with a hologram seal sticked to the side.
Funny, some of the games in a store I used to visit (www.nedgame.com) in Holland also have that sticker on them.

hydr0x
Dumper

Post by hydr0x » 08 Jun 2009 22:24

alcoatjez wrote:
JohnDie wrote:It's a version sold in Italy, imported by Gigi, with a hologram seal sticked to the side.
Funny, some of the games in a store I used to visit (http://www.nedgame.com) in Holland also have that sticker on them.
Well, Dutch stores are known to have a lot of imports so those are probably just imports (of imports) too. Whenever I go into Dutch game stores I'm amazed by the amount of US Nintendo DS games ;)