Special SNES Chips

Post all database contributions here.
C. V. Reynolds
Datter

Special SNES Chips

Post by C. V. Reynolds » 30 Nov 2011 21:31

I added the SNES's special chips to the Dat-o-Matic. Let me know if I made any mistakes or have any suggestions for renaming.

Mostly irrelevant rambling: Unfortunately, due to No-Intro naming standards, bsnes users (like me) who use No-Intro may have inconvenience. bsnes will only run the chips if they're named specifically to bsnes's database. Because bsnes insists upon the chip files being in the same folders as the games they go to, they could accidentally be renamed in a ROM manager crossfire of sorts and then become unusable by bsnes until renamed again. Sorry I didn't think about this sooner, but what else could we do? It was either add the chips or don't add them. Perhaps something to ignore renaming .bin files is in order.

Also, SNES9X needs the BSX BIOS to specifically be named "BS-X.bin", so this isn't without precedent.

hydr0x
Dumper

Re: Special SNES Chips

Post by hydr0x » 01 Dec 2011 11:23

Why should we care how emulator coders want their filenames? What if bsnes chose name A and zsnes name B? Which would we use then? No, we have naming rules and that's a good thing. If you want to use these with an emulator that forces filenames, copy and rename them.

Connie

Post by Connie » 01 Dec 2011 15:40

I agree, naming is more important. Besides, at -40 kbytes for the lot, you could have a dozen copies on your drive and hardly be matching the size of a small SNES cart dump.

While we're on the subject, what ever did those graphics packs do that were released for certain games (for emulators) - do these additional chips now emulate what these packs were originally used for or were they for something else? If they were for something else, should these be datted?

hydr0x
Dumper

Post by hydr0x » 01 Dec 2011 15:52

You probably mean the old decryption packs for games like Far East of Eden Zero. As these are not dumps in any way they shouldn't be part of a DAT imho. They're not needed nowadays anyways.

C. V. Reynolds
Datter

Post by C. V. Reynolds » 01 Dec 2011 17:37

hydr0x wrote:Why should we care how emulator coders want their filenames? What if bsnes chose name A and zsnes name B? Which would we use then? No, we have naming rules and that's a good thing. If you want to use these with an emulator that forces filenames, copy and rename them.
Yes, that's pretty much what I was trying to say. Was I hard to understand? :( Sorry if true. I just wanted to warn the users of how things were going to be. I tried to make the names of the chips as accurate as I could.