[GENESIS] Possible bad dumps?

Post all database contributions here.
Vigi

[GENESIS] Possible bad dumps?

Post by Vigi » 31 Mar 2012 22:24

I've compared the header checksums and sizes with a tool against the actual values, and many roms give invalid values.. So I think at least some of these dumps are bad.. I've excluded Unlicensed, Proto, Beta, Sample dumps from this list:
  • Action Replay (Europe) (Program).md - different size in header
    Aworg (Japan) (SegaNet).md - different size in header
    Best of the Best - Championship Karate (Europe).md - Beta according to GoodGen/MESS? Seems unavailable in Europe
    Kiss Shot (Japan) (SegaNet).md - different size in header
    Medal City (Japan) (SegaNet).md - different size in header
    MegaMind (Japan) (SegaNet).md - different size in header
    Mortal Kombat (World) (v1.1).md - different size in header. Also, it's listed as 'Prototype' in older goodgen versions.
    Riddle Wired (Japan) (SegaNet).md - different size in header
    Robot Battler (Japan) (SegaNet).md - different size in header
    Sega Channel (USA) (General Instrument) (Program).md - different size in header
    Sega Channel Demo (USA) (Program).md - different size in header
    Show do Milhao Volume 2 (Brazil) (Alt).md - different size in header
    Telebradesco Residencia (Brazil) (Program).md - different size in header
    Thunder Fox (USA).md - checksum bytes swapped
    [BIOS] Sega TMSS (World).md - different size in header
Last edited by Vigi on 21 Apr 2012 13:54, edited 5 times in total.

Maddog

Re: [GENESIS + 32X] Possible bad dumps?

Post by Maddog » 01 Apr 2012 22:34

Keep in mind that it's a well known fact that there exist several Genesis/MD games where the header is not proper, yet the dump is proper.
I am not sure if there's a confirmed list somewhere, but you can get a start by looking at GoodGen 3.00 and find the roms that are marked as both [c] and [!]. This indicates a header checksum problem AND a verified dump too. Most of those you are mentioning are marked this way there.

I am fully aware that GoodGen is not without its' quota of errors, but I suppose they wouldn't be marked as "verified" if they were not.

Vigi

Post by Vigi » 02 Apr 2012 09:30

Maddog wrote:I am fully aware that GoodGen is not without its' quota of errors, but I suppose they wouldn't be marked as "verified" if they were not.
Yeah I checked out GoodGen after posting this topic.. But if they are indeed "verified" then why are no-intro and byuu etc. ignoring this and redumping everything again? And I think I remember roms being redumped here that didn't match goodtools even though they were tagged [!]?

Anyway, I'm still very skeptical at least about these 2:

Best of the Best - Championship Karate (Europe).md

Can't find any info on this being actually released in Europe. GoodGen and MESS list it as a beta. I don't know who decided to remove the beta tag and why?

Mortal Kombat (World, v1.1)

Header size AND checksum not matching, listed as Prototype before.. But Cowering is gonna check if he owns the cartridge :)

Maddog

Post by Maddog » 04 Apr 2012 23:43

You are probably right about those two, but I can't provide any further insight...

Cowering was never very clear on who and how did the dumping for GoodX, that's probably the reason that others like byuu are doing everything again. Never a bad idea, at least as long as funds is not an issue! He also *has* made a lot of errors during the years, but what I was really meaning in my previous post was that most of the ones you flagged as "suspect" are probably legit and I don't expect a redump to change the current checksum of most of the roms in your list.

Still, if you go ahead with buying/redumping them, I will wait for your results. :)

Vigi

Post by Vigi » 05 Apr 2012 10:32

Maddog wrote:Cowering was never very clear on who and how did the dumping for GoodX, that's probably the reason that others like byuu are doing everything again. Never a bad idea, at least as long as funds is not an issue! He also *has* made a lot of errors during the years, but what I was really meaning in my previous post was that most of the ones you flagged as "suspect" are probably legit and I don't expect a redump to change the current checksum of most of the roms in your list.
Yeah, he says he owns all USA cartridges and they were dumped from 3 different sources (probably at least one of the sources used the Sega CD method).. I hope he can find a REV01 copy of Mortal Kombat.. and I guess that the checksum not matching doesn't necessarily indicate a bad dump, so I removed those from the list. The remaining dumps with different size in header are mostly SegaNet/J-Cart/Program dumps, so hopefully that's a good sign.

kiddocabbusses

Post by kiddocabbusses » 27 Apr 2012 13:55

Maddog wrote:You are probably right about those two, but I can't provide any further insight...

Cowering was never very clear on who and how did the dumping for GoodX, that's probably the reason that others like byuu are doing everything again. Never a bad idea, at least as long as funds is not an issue! He also *has* made a lot of errors during the years, but what I was really meaning in my previous post was that most of the ones you flagged as "suspect" are probably legit and I don't expect a redump to change the current checksum of most of the roms in your list.

Still, if you go ahead with buying/redumping them, I will wait for your results. :)
I'll note that byuu mostly works with SFC stuff so that may not necessarily be relevant to this discussion.

But anyhow, on these ROMs:

1) Go here for info about the SegaNet ROM sources;
http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=24141
SUMMARY: These are pretty much exactly what Sega themselves have.
2) Sega Channel Demo [Cartridge #4, danged no-intro not adapting the naming convention from the actual label] is not something like a CD demo meant for a magazine; it is a black-and-white-label press demo. It's fairly likely Sega didn't bother with checksum info on this, especially considering it was a demoing a service rather than a game.
3) Sega Channel BIOs may be trying to account for streamed content.
4) Action Replay is unlicensed and thus could theoretically have anything in it's header.

Vigi

Re: [GENESIS] Possible bad dumps?

Post by Vigi » 27 Apr 2012 15:02

Ok.. I would still appreciate a confirmation on Best of the Best - Championship Karate (Europe).md... Why it doesn't have a Beta tag here like in other projects?.. I've looked around for it, but it seems unreleased in Europe... Also still waiting for a confirmation of Mortal Kombat (World) (v1.1).md from Cowering.. He said he would check his cartridges, but still haven't received any mails.

sunbeam
Datter

Post by sunbeam » 22 May 2012 12:36

I only own Mortal Kombat v1.0 with a ROM capacity of 16 Mbit. I bet v1.1 doesn't differ at that point.

Kyonhism

Post by Kyonhism » 15 Jul 2012 12:46

Also Battletoads and Double Dragon (USA) have a wrong checksum .

Rifu
High Council

Post by Rifu » 16 Jul 2012 15:55

terpsfan10 wrote:The rom that No-Intro has for Triple Play - Gold Edition (USA) for the Sega Genesis is a hacked version of the game with modified rosters. The game was released in February 1996, but the rom dump contains rosters updated for the 1997 season. For instance, Albert Belle is on the White Sox, Roger Clemens is on the Toronto Blue Jays. Albert Belle signed with the White Sox in November 1996, and Roger Clemens didn't become a Blue Jay until December 1996. Also, in the "Custom Players" pool (which should be empty), you'll see many created players like Mariano Rivera, and oddly enough, Babe Ruth and Mickey Mantle. The guy who dumped this rom was obviously a Yankee Fan.

The rom that No-Intro is using from GoodGen is Triple Play Gold (U) [a1].gen (CRC: BBE69017). I recommend that they replace it with Triple Play Gold (U) [a1].gen (CRC: A8963A0). This dump has the players (like Belle and Clemens) on their correct teams, and doesn't appear to have been altered.

Hopefully, someone here can forward this message to a member of the No-Intro team.
edit:
terpsfan10 wrote:What I said above also applies to Triple Play 96 (USA). Unfortunately, there isn't a good dump to replace it with. Anyway, I think the issue with these 2 dumps is that the SRAM was somehow patched to the rom image when it was dumped.
Last edited by Rifu on 16 Jul 2012 22:55, edited 1 time in total.

Vigi

Post by Vigi » 16 Jul 2012 18:20

replace Triple Play Gold (U) [a1].gen with Triple Play Gold (U) [a1].gen ? :roll:

sunbeam
Datter

Post by sunbeam » 19 Jul 2012 12:47

Kyonhism wrote:Also Battletoads and Double Dragon (USA) have a wrong checksum .
Whats the correct one?