It is currently 13 Dec 2017 00:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2016 22:05 

I'm staring at two roms here that are not in a P/C relationship but I believe they should be:
New Chessmaster, The (USA, Europe) - F395F7B8CE24E6DA365B843ADF7D763E - http://datomatic.no-intro.org/?page=sho ... =46&n=0893
New Chessmaster, The (Japan) (En,Ja) - 25B34EBECE0E2C54BAF9DEE4F5845292 - http://datomatic.no-intro.org/?page=sho ... =46&n=0892

Playing both of them shows the same menu screen and game. The menu has a background image of some old man contemplating his chess-move.

On a related note: this is my first post here and I am curious as to how P/C groupings are determined.
I mostly post fix requests to the datomatic message board but those were almost entirely Language corrections and as this was a P/C thing I figured it might be better to post it here.

Thanks in advance and thank you for your hard work at digital preservation!

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2016 22:44 

Welcome. No idea, but here are their screenshots.

Left: Japan
Right: USA, Europe

Interesting that figures are symmetrical in USA/Europe version.

Image Image
Image Image

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2016 16:25 

Those pictures are from different editions of the game.

The Chessmaster is the original release. Then it was updated into The New Chessmaster.
Lastly retooled for GBC, as just Chessmaster.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2016 18:06 

theclaw135 wrote:
Those pictures are from different editions of the game.

The Chessmaster is the original release. Then it was updated into The New Chessmaster.
Lastly retooled for GBC, as just Chessmaster.

if that is the case, then is it possible that the USA/EUROPE "new chessmaster" is incorrectly named in the database then? should it be a clone of this one - http://datomatic.no-intro.org/index.php ... =46&n=0229 which is just titled "chessmaster"

I bring this up because on the GB we have three parents with "chessmaster" in their names but only two different titles it appears

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2016 23:24 

Hum... yes, it's possible I made a mistake. Tomorrow I'll check it again.

Cheers.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2016 20:45 

I also just noticed that the "New" chessmaster has the copyright date of 1992 instead of just 1990

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2016 14:55 
High Council

Problem here is that technically there appear to be three Chessmaster releases. The first game was released all over the world with the same code "EM":

DMG-EM-USA(-1) (USA)
DMG-EM-XXX (Europe)
DMG-EMJ (Japan)

However the game "New Chessmaster" doesn't appear to match in all regions:

"N5"

DMG-N5-USA (USA)
DMG-N5-FAH (Europe)

but Japan:

DMG-ACHJ-JPN

The Japanese edition was released nearly five jears later and it uses the new code system. I remember there was some discussion that this is not the exact same game as the other New Chessmaster from Europe/USA. It also appears to be the only one to use "New" in the title. Did anyone ever play these to confirm they are the same or not?

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2016 19:59 

BigFred wrote:
Problem here is that technically there appear to be three Chessmaster releases
The Japanese edition was released nearly five jears later and it uses the new code system. Did anyone ever play these to confirm they are the same or not?

Thanks BigFred! I came across two other threads from around 7 years ago (Which you were posting in as well!) and if we do base it on this code/serial number system, then yes: There are three different releases.

I have played the TWO "new" chessmasters for comparison and they they look EXTREMELY similar. I do not appear to be able to add file attachments here (error screen gets thrown up when I click ADD THE FILE) but they really are the same game in terms of the game itself. The only differences to be found are in the splash screens concerning the copyrights, publishers, etc.

Are there any other differences that are not immediately obvious when playing the two games? There could be different "levels", options, etc but I still haven't really found any. The Japanese one has "Level 14 Infinite" and the USA one has just "Level Infinite" after Level 13.

I'm really new to all of this stuff so I want to thank you for putting up with these questions and concerns of mine, I really appreciate it and the work you all do in contributing to the preservation of these things.