It is currently 11 Dec 2017 03:02

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: 13 Oct 2017 14:52 
Offline

Joined: 18 Jun 2008 10:16
Posts: 95
After some discussions with BigFred in PM, it turns out that the Virtual Console SNES / SNES Mini ROMs can be restored into "unaltered" ROMs by taking the original SPC music data and injecting it into the ROM. This results in a ROM with a Good checksum.

There seem to be several alternate versions released on Virtual Console with subtle differences. Can we start adding these versions to the datfile?

Successful attempts:
Akumajou Dracula (Japan) (Virtual Console)
Contra III - The Alien Wars (USA) (Virtual Console)
Donkey Kong Country 2 - Diddy's Kong Quest (Europe) (En,Fr) (Rev 1) (Virtual Console)
Donkey Kong Country 2 - Diddy's Kong Quest (Germany) (En,De) (Rev 1) (Virtual Console)
Donkey Kong Country 2 - Diddy's Kong Quest (USA) (En,Fr) (Rev 1) (Virtual Console)
Final Fight (Europe) (Virtual Console)
Final Fight (Japan) (Virtual Console)
Final Fight (USA) (Virtual Console)
Final Fight 2 (Europe) (Virtual Console)
Final Fight 2 (USA) (Virtual Console)
Final Fight 3 (USA) (Virtual Console)
Final Fight Tough (Japan) (Virtual Console)
Ganbare Goemon - Yuki Hime Kyuushutsu Emaki (Japan) (Rev 2) (Virtual Console)
Kirby Bowl (Japan) (Virtual Console)
Kirby's Dream Course (Europe) (Virtual Console)
Kirby's Dream Course (USA) (Virtual Console)
Panel de Pon (Japan) (Rev 1) (Virtual Console)
Secret of Mana (USA) (Virtual Console)
Seiken Densetsu 2 (Japan) (Rev 1) (Virtual Console)
Street Fighter II (Europe) (Virtual Console)
Street Fighter II (Japan) (Virtual Console)
Street Fighter II (USA) (Virtual Console)
Street Fighter II Turbo (Europe) (Rev 1) (Virtual Console)
Street Fighter II Turbo (Japan) (Rev 1) (Virtual Console)
Street Fighter II Turbo (USA) (Rev 1) (Virtual Console)
Super Castlevania IV (Europe) (Virtual Console)
Super Castlevania IV (USA) (Virtual Console)
Super Donkey Kong 2 - Dixie & Diddy (Japan) (Rev 1) (Virtual Console)
Super Mario All-Stars (Europe) (Virtual Console)
Super Mario All-Stars (USA) (Virtual Console)
Super Mario Collection (Japan) (Rev 1) (Virtual Console)
Super Probotector - Alien Rebels (Europe) (Virtual Console)
Super Street Fighter II - The New Challengers (Japan) (Virtual Console)
Super Street Fighter II (Europe) (Virtual Console)
Super Turrican (Europe) (Virtual Console)
Super Turrican (USA) (Virtual Console)

Unsuccessful attempts:
Contra Spirits (Japan) (Virtual Console)
Super Mario RPG (Japan) (Virtual Console)
Super Mario RPG - Legend of the Seven Stars (USA) (Virtual Console)
Super Metroid (Japan, USA) (En,Ja) (Virtual Console)
Super Street Fighter II - The New Challengers (USA) (Rev 1) (Virtual Console)


Last edited by Vigi on 14 Oct 2017 18:24, edited 14 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 13 Oct 2017 16:31 
Offline

Joined: 18 Jun 2008 10:16
Posts: 95
Looks like not all Virtual Console versions have updated checksums.. For instance, Legend of Zelda, The - A Link to the Past (USA) (Virtual Console) has some patches (more info: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=23021.0 ) but the checksum remains unchanged to the original version.

It's probably best if we only accept Virtual Console dumps where the original checksum is good after reconstruction. This is the only way to ensure that the ROM is clean and unmodified.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 13 Oct 2017 19:00 
Offline

Joined: 22 Sep 2012 16:36
Posts: 332
Is it possible that Nintendo made changes besides the SPC stuff (flashing, text edits, etc.) and didn't bother to update the checksums?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 13 Oct 2017 19:08 
Offline

Joined: 18 Jun 2008 10:16
Posts: 95
KingMike wrote:
Is it possible that Nintendo made changes besides the SPC stuff (flashing, text edits, etc.) and didn't bother to update the checksums?


Yeah, that's basically what I said in my previous post.. But there is no way to verify that these dumps were reconstructed correctly. Probably best to exclude them from the datfile, and maybe create a separate datfile for "patched" ROMs.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 15 Oct 2017 20:45 
Offline
High Council
User avatar

Joined: 22 May 2008 22:42
Posts: 1120
Well, I can confirm Super Street Fighter US is a match of my attempt so there is at least no mistake from your side. We don't have an original 1.1 (if it exists) to see if the checksum matches. Well, it could also be that they made some change to the music or sound effects themselves before ripping and converting them to PCM. This would be worst case.

I don't have access to the other "failed" ones. Does the checksum differ from the original versions? Could you upload these as well please?

I also have reconstructed Ganbare Goemon 3 years ago:

Code:
File:               JCHJ v1.2 (Wii VC edition).zip
Entry:              JCHJ v1.2 (Wii VC edition).smc
Path:               F:\NO-INTRO SETS
Compressed:         Yes
Length:             2097152 Bytes (16 Mbit)
CRC32:              C6887A9E
MD5:                752785E200E91790167E8BF8ADCAD2AD
SHA1:               6049A948A70CF63E199A9C9750E3DFFE175322F6
----| Detection Data |---------------------------------------------
ROM Type:           LoROM
Cartridge Type:     Normal
----| Header Data |------------------------------------------------
New Maker Code:     A4 (Konami)
Serial:             2U   (Unknown)
SFX SRAM Size:      0x00
Title:              goemon 3             
Map Type:           0x30 (FastROM-120ns; LoROM-32KB Banks)
ROM Type:           0x02 (ROM + Save RAM)
ROM Size:           0x0B (16 Mbit; Ok)
SRAM Size:          0x03 (64 Kbit)
Country:            0x00 (Japan)
Old Maker Code:     0x33 (N/A)
Version:            0x02 (v1.2)
Inverse Checksum:   0x044D (Ok)
Checksum:           0xFBB2 (Ok)
-------------------------------------------------------------------


Just to give an idea of what might have been changed in those versions: Super Turrican has been edited to remove all references to Seika. The big red boot logo and the entry in the title screen are gone.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 15 Oct 2017 21:15 
Offline

Joined: 18 Jun 2008 10:16
Posts: 95
I'll double check the 4 failed ones and share them with you asap. Is there any harm in adding the good checksum roms to the dat? I noticed that other sets already include some Virtual Console variants.

And I think I asked this before: Are there any roms in the SNES set currently with a bad checksum that aren't marked [b]?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2017 03:57 
Offline

Joined: 22 Sep 2012 16:36
Posts: 332
BigFred wrote:
Just to give an idea of what might have been changed in those versions: Super Turrican has been edited to remove all references to Seika. The big red boot logo and the entry in the title screen are gone.


Yes, while some games on VC left in outdated publisher names/logos (ie JVC logo in Ghoul Patrol despite that JVC's game publishing division was essentially spun off into Marvelous Entertainment many years ago), I guess Hudson (?, I think that was who published it on VC) decided that game needed its legalities updated).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2017 11:20 
Offline
High Council
User avatar

Joined: 22 May 2008 22:42
Posts: 1120
Vigi wrote:
I'll double check the 4 failed ones and share them with you asap. Is there any harm in adding the good checksum roms to the dat? I noticed that other sets already include some Virtual Console variants.

And I think I asked this before: Are there any roms in the SNES set currently with a bad checksum that aren't marked [b]?


Thank you. To my knowledge no official cart release has a bad checksum. But unlicensed games and "devices" might have as the SNES itself afair doesn't check this.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2017 17:45 
Offline

Joined: 18 Jun 2008 10:16
Posts: 95
BigFred wrote:
Vigi wrote:
I'll double check the 4 failed ones and share them with you asap. Is there any harm in adding the good checksum roms to the dat? I noticed that other sets already include some Virtual Console variants.

And I think I asked this before: Are there any roms in the SNES set currently with a bad checksum that aren't marked [b]?


Thank you. To my knowledge no official cart release has a bad checksum. But unlicensed games and "devices" might have as the SNES itself afair doesn't check this.


When will you have time to check those dumps and decide what to do with them?

They are really just patched roms (except for some new revisions that have no cartridge dump yet), and many of them have bytes changed but no updated checksum, so I'm not sure if the set would be better off having them included.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2017 07:57 
Offline

Joined: 18 Jun 2008 10:16
Posts: 95
While no official decision has been made about this still, I see that someone added some SNES VC dumps without discussing it here:

Super Mario RPG - Legend of the Seven Stars (USA) (Wii U Virtual Console)
Legend of Zelda, The - A Link to the Past (USA) (Wii U Virtual Console)

This raises some obvious concerns:
- Do these roms have a bad checksum or was it hacked?
- Why label it 'Wii U Virtual Console' when the Wii, 3DS and SNES Mini most likely have the same ROM?
- Is the music missing (untouched ROM), recompressed, or replaced with the original data?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2017 16:22 
Offline
Datter

Joined: 14 May 2010 22:14
Posts: 407
Hi Vigi,

Those are added by DeriLoko3.
He find stuff on other sites and add it to the database , but don't know if it is good or not.


Some info about those 2 dumps for the dumper DingDongDell

Here's a few more Virtual Console dumps then.
This time though they didn't change much, just anti-epilepsy patches but I figured some people might appreciate to have those.

I included The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past, as extracted from the US Wii U Virtual Console service. It's on the European store as well. It's the US version from 1992 with flashing instances removed but you don't have to use their darkened emulator to enjoy it.
There are French and German versions on the European Wii U store, based on the original PAL versions in those respective languages. NOT the 60 Hz French version that got released in Canada 20 years ago, but the 50 Hz one.

Super Mario RPG was only released in the US back in 1996.
That version with reduced flashing was released on:
- US Wii Virtual Console
- US Wii U Virtual Console
- Europe Wii U Virtual Console (what I used here)
The changes are apparently the exact same across all versions.

When they are not good , just delete the entries.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2017 18:13 
Offline

Joined: 18 Jun 2008 10:16
Posts: 95
I checked those 3 dumps and they all have recompressed audio (made with wiiu-vc-extractor, so they aren't pure). For that reason alone they should be removed.

Another problem is that these games have different patches for different VC releases (Wii, 3DS, Wii U), and Super Mario RPG even has a different Wii U VC (USA) ROM for Europe than for USA.
Zelda and Mario Picross still have the ROM checksum for the original cartridge versions.
If we start adding every single patched VC ROM for every game, then the set will become a complete mess imo.
That's why I'm against including VC roms that are only patched, but aren't really new ROMs (with a new/good internal checksum).

Preserving the patched VC versions would be better as a side project.

I'm not a datter, so I can't remove them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2017 20:53 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 14 Oct 2012 15:46
Posts: 87
Vigi wrote:
I checked those 3 dumps and they all have recompressed audio (made with wiiu-vc-extractor, so they aren't pure). For that reason alone they should be removed.

Another problem is that these games have different patches for different VC releases (Wii, 3DS, Wii U), and Super Mario RPG even has a different Wii U VC (USA) ROM for Europe than for USA.
Zelda and Mario Picross still have the ROM checksum for the original cartridge versions.
If we start adding every single patched VC ROM for every game, then the set will become a complete mess imo.
That's why I'm against including VC roms that are only patched, but aren't really new ROMs (with a new/good internal checksum).

Preserving the patched VC versions would be better as a side project.

I'm not a datter, so I can't remove them.

Absolutely 100% agreed, these should be removed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2017 22:51 
Offline
Datter

Joined: 14 May 2010 22:14
Posts: 407
@vigi

Can you also take a look at Donkey Kong - Original Edition (USA) (Virtual Console).nes.
Is from same dumper.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2017 19:37 
Offline

Joined: 18 Jun 2008 10:16
Posts: 95
jimmsu wrote:
@vigi

Can you also take a look at Donkey Kong - Original Edition (USA) (Virtual Console).nes.
Is from same dumper.


That one should be okay.. NES VC roms don't have any of those issues like recompressed audio or modified checksums afaik


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group