Super Turrican Director's Cut is coming!

Post all database contributions here.
BigFred
High Council

Super Turrican Director's Cut is coming!

Post by BigFred » 24 Oct 2017 09:12

After all those years the game I have been waiting for is finally arriving :trumpet: : The original 6 MiBit version of Super Turrican (SNES) with all the stuff that was cut out for the 4 MiBit retail release including lots of missing enemies, music, a lost stage and a new weapon function.

I was a bit disappointed the chance to include this game with the SNES Mini was missed. Instead it will now be digitally included in the Analogue Super Nt and it will also come with a proper boxart.

https://www.analogue.co/pages/super-nt/

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/23/164 ... s-cut-snes

Will preorder soon and I hope it can also be ripped from the system. Yay :D :gba:

Collecter

Re: Super Turrican Director's Cut is coming!

Post by Collecter » 30 Oct 2017 17:06

nice i will wait for a rom if its possible :D

John Enigma

Post by John Enigma » 08 Feb 2018 13:10

Well, the Super NT came out yesterday.

Is anybody expecting someone to buy the console and dump the game?

Or am I ahead of myself?

badinsults

Post by badinsults » 08 Feb 2018 22:11

I'm getting one, but I live in Europe so I expect someone else will get to it before me.

CZroe

Post by CZroe » 13 Feb 2018 18:22

Remember: This game is currently for sale and market availability is less than 5 years old. It is a strong and legitimate incentive to fund a product from an esteemed member of the retrogaming community so please do not publicly link the file. While I also want to make my own cartridge of this, I hope to find a way for users to extract the ROM and do this themselves. I get my Super Nt today! :P

I was EXTREMELY disappointed with how Star Fox 2 was treated after the launch of the SNES Classic Edition with people unapologetically ripping it off and selling it the instant it was extracted and shared publicly... despite it being a current and demonstrably marketable product currently being sold in stores around the world. If they were simply making it for themselves or on commission, I wouldn't have batted an eye, but instead they were promoting them with YouTube celebs and offering them to buy pre-made. At least wait until the SNES CE is no longer on the store shelves!

Some people justified their behavior with Star Fox 2 by pretending that Nintendo is just a huge corporation. Well, Julian (Factor 5), Kevin (Kevtris), and Christopher (Analogue) are real people who are harmed when we promote an illegitimate alternative to buying their legitimate product. That excuse won't fly this time.

KingMike

Post by KingMike » 14 Feb 2018 16:42

I would feel a little less guilty towards Nintendo as they produced it in low supply that makes it difficult to even buy legitimately. Not to say that people shouldn't even try to buy it (from a store, if available. Not from a scalper. Scalper regardless paid the store who paid Nintendo but I don't care if scalper gets their money back. :P )

CZroe

Post by CZroe » 15 Feb 2018 01:23

KingMike wrote:I would feel a little less guilty towards Nintendo as they produced it in low supply that makes it difficult to even buy legitimately. Not to say that people shouldn't even try to buy it (from a store, if available. Not from a scalper. Scalper regardless paid the store who paid Nintendo but I don't care if scalper gets their money back. :P )
Everything is relative (they sold MILLIONS already) but I get your point: if people can’t buy it legitimately then they have no legitimate option. ;) That really just demonstrates demand and retail viability for the legal ROM so I still don’t think it justifies selling bootlegs. I want to see Super Turrican Director’s Cut prove viable so more unreleased games can come out of the woodwork. I actually own an unreleased prototype of Super Turrican for NTSC NES (different from the public dumps).

BigFred
High Council

Post by BigFred » 15 Feb 2018 20:24

Unfortunately the DC is not what I expected/hoped for. The end of ice world 3-1 is now different as there are some frozen robots lying around on top of what looks like small buildings. You can melt these guys and destroy them afterwards. After 3-1 you are fighting in a new stage set up in a flying robot facility offering new gfx. The music is actually "Air Combat" from the "train" stage in the retail version which now features a different track (from Mega Turrican I think).

Other than that the intro looks a bit different. The sound effect of Bren's gun in the intro is gone and the music when the title screen appears is missing some tones for whatever reason. Then there appear to be sound effects not found in the retail if I'm not mistaken, at least one seemed new to me.

However I expected the game to be more polished overall with more enemies, especially boss fights. You only have four bosses in the retail and I was pretty sure they had to cut out some of them. There is even an unused boss music in the sound menu of the retail. This idea was supported by Factor5's homepage where you get to read the following:

Code: Select all

On a final note about Super Turrican, if you look at the Enemy Gallery in the game manual that can be brought up by pushing the home button on the Wii-Remote, there are several nasty critters in there that you won't find in this official retail version of Super Turrican due to memory constraints. We were told to deliver the game in 4 Mbit (512 KByte), the smallest size cartridge available at the time, after finishing it as a 6 MBit title.
http://www.factor5.de/secrets_super_turrican.shtml

Unfortunately this turned out to be nothing like a hoax. These enemies are not in the DC either. Not a single new boss is in there and the only new enemies at all are the robots in the new stage (two color variants of one robot). The unused music is still unused. Why they mentioned the gallery and the memory restrictions is beyond me. Yes, it's not in the retail. But not in the DC either so what is this 6 MBit version then? They always claimed the game was finished at 6 MBit as the definitive version. But when those enemies are not in there it can't be true. Was the 6 MBit version only a compromise as well? But why? They never mentioned there were any restrictions before they had to cut down from 6 to 4 MBit. The whole story doesn't make sense anymore to me.

CZroe

Post by CZroe » 18 Feb 2018 18:13

BigFred wrote:Unfortunately the DC is not what I expected/hoped for. The end of ice world 3-1 is now different as there are some frozen robots lying around on top of what looks like small buildings. You can melt these guys and destroy them afterwards. After 3-1 you are fighting in a new stage set up in a flying robot facility offering new gfx. The music is actually "Air Combat" from the "train" stage in the retail version which now features a different track (from Mega Turrican I think).

Other than that the intro looks a bit different. The sound effect of Bren's gun in the intro is gone and the music when the title screen appears is missing some tones for whatever reason. Then there appear to be sound effects not found in the retail if I'm not mistaken, at least one seemed new to me.

However I expected the game to be more polished overall with more enemies, especially boss fights. You only have four bosses in the retail and I was pretty sure they had to cut out some of them. There is even an unused boss music in the sound menu of the retail. This idea was supported by Factor5's homepage where you get to read the following:

Code: Select all

On a final note about Super Turrican, if you look at the Enemy Gallery in the game manual that can be brought up by pushing the home button on the Wii-Remote, there are several nasty critters in there that you won't find in this official retail version of Super Turrican due to memory constraints. We were told to deliver the game in 4 Mbit (512 KByte), the smallest size cartridge available at the time, after finishing it as a 6 MBit title.
http://www.factor5.de/secrets_super_turrican.shtml

Unfortunately this turned out to be nothing like a hoax. These enemies are not in the DC either. Not a single new boss is in there and the only new enemies at all are the robots in the new stage (two color variants of one robot). The unused music is still unused. Why they mentioned the gallery and the memory restrictions is beyond me. Yes, it's not in the retail. But not in the DC either so what is this 6 MBit version then? They always claimed the game was finished at 6 MBit as the definitive version. But when those enemies are not in there it can't be true. Was the 6 MBit version only a compromise as well? But why? They never mentioned there were any restrictions before they had to cut down from 6 to 4 MBit. The whole story doesn't make sense anymore to me.
Have you ever had to continually revise a message to get it under a character limit? It’s very possible that what was found on this disk (and ultimately became the DC) was an intermediary between a unpolished prototype and a polished final retail where they had made several cuts already. From the start, I thought it would be extremely lucky for that disk to happen to be one that had everything so I kept my expectations in check.

BigFred
High Council

Post by BigFred » 20 Feb 2018 20:40

Technically you are right, but in a podcast last year Eggebrecht clearly stated that what he found on the disc was the last version before they started with the "big cut".