[NES] Master sheet comparisons

Post all database contributions here.
KingMike

Re: [NES] Master sheet comparisons

Post by KingMike » 21 Oct 2018 03:54

With Puzznic, maybe DTF- was from a version Taito planned to publish themselves but IGS- is because it seems it was licensed to IGS for publishing in Japan.
(DTF from Disco/Taito Famicom soft, maybe? Disco being seemingly another developer or something Taito contracted to make some games?
Some examples: Tetrastar and Panic Restaurant on the Famicom and Estpolis on Super Famicom.)

Robocco Wars was another Famicom game which IGS published but credited to Taito for making it.

Vigi

Post by Vigi » 21 Oct 2018 11:28

BigFred wrote:
20 Oct 2018 22:58
Puzznic (Japan)Program.bin [DTF-ZH] = bad dump? Nintendo has 07F8 checksum
Puzznic has two entries in the sheet - both sharing the same CHR 4547. The one with PRG 07F8 "DTF-ZH" appears to be unreleased while the "IGS-9U" seems to be matching the available dump. See also the "X" in the first colum for the DTF version.
Seicross (Japan)Program.bin [NBF-SE] = Not in FileList.csv. HNPdata has 0AF7 checksum and comment: "No PRG data due to master ROM failure"
I don't quite understand what is wrong with this one? The CHR-0 and PRG-0 entries match the checksums of the "non rev 1" version. Be aware we have two revisions in the dat - one doesn't seem to be in the list so don't get confused by these. The CHR-0 is marked red though for some reason. How the CHRCRC in the last column is calculated is beyond my understanding.
Thx, you're right, I removed them from my post. That leaves these 2 seemingly bad dumps, any comment on them?

Athena (Japan)Program.bin [SFX-AT] = bad dump? Nintendo has 330E / 66D2 checksums
Bird Week (Japan) (Beta) = PRG ROM matches normal dump, CHR ROM is probably a bad dump?

Also, is there going to be some kind of coordinated effort to find and dump the undumped carts, like what happened with the SNES ones on the byuu forum?

BigFred
High Council

Post by BigFred » 21 Oct 2018 12:27

For Bird Week I have a guess at least:

CHR-0 is 3C1F in the list and it's marked red.
PRG-0 is 84BC.

--> Both match the data of our dump.

Strangely in the colums with PRGCRC and CHRCRC at the end of the list the PRG data is the same but CHRCRC is DC1F. However if you fill the CHR from 8 KB to 16 KB with repeated data only the first position of the hash will change. For instance if you fill with "55" the checksum will be DC1F. Maybe they burned the 8 KB data to a 16 KB chip and the "fill bytes" are responsible for the different hash? It's just a theory. But there are pretty many of such cases if you take a closer look.

Vigi

Post by Vigi » 21 Oct 2018 13:37

BigFred wrote:
21 Oct 2018 12:27
For Bird Week I have a guess at least:

CHR-0 is 3C1F in the list and it's marked red.
PRG-0 is 84BC.

--> Both match the data of our dump.

Strangely in the colums with PRGCRC and CHRCRC at the end of the list the PRG data is the same but CHRCRC is DC1F. However if you fill the CHR from 8 KB to 16 KB with repeated data only the first position of the hash will change. For instance if you fill with "55" the checksum will be DC1F. Maybe they burned the 8 KB data to a 16 KB chip and the "fill bytes" are responsible for the different hash? It's just a theory. But there are pretty many of such cases if you take a closer look.
I think you misread though.. I was talking about the "Bird Week (Japan) (Beta)" dump in the dat, which should be identical to the normal release, except for repeated data?

BigFred
High Council

Post by BigFred » 21 Oct 2018 13:55

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were referring to the Beta. I assumed you wondered about the DC1F CHR in the NesList.csv.

The Beta appears to be overdumped indeed. At least there doesn't appear to be any additional "valuable" data in it.

Vigi

Post by Vigi » 21 Oct 2018 20:07

BigFred wrote:
21 Oct 2018 13:55
I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were referring to the Beta. I assumed you wondered about the DC1F CHR in the NesList.csv.

The Beta appears to be overdumped indeed. At least there doesn't appear to be any additional "valuable" data in it.
The first 16kb is an ascending byte pattern:
junk.zip
The last 16kb is the normal character ROM twice in a row. So this is definitely an overdump.

So @staff, plz remove this dump, it's useless: http://datomatic.no-intro.org/?page=sho ... =45&n=2715

Someone already reported it last year, but it was ignored: http://datomatic.no-intro.org/?page=for ... hread=2814
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.