Wrong naming in No-intro SNES dat - BS Zelda Map 2 Dai-1-wa

Post all database contributions here.
Litude

Wrong naming in No-intro SNES dat - BS Zelda Map 2 Dai-1-wa

Post by Litude » 22 Jul 2008 22:43

Thought I would let you know, that "BS Zelda no Densetsu Map 2 - Dai-1-wa (Japan) " is in fact "BS Zelda no Densetsu Map 2 - Dai-4-wa (Japan) ". The false belief came because when you played through the game in week 4 (Dai-4-wa), the game bumped you back into week 1 (it did not redownload the game, so it was using the week 4 data) but gave you some special stuff like having all monsters drop either blue rupees or faeries and a nice victory fanfare (all can be seen if you fire up the rom in an emulator). It seems like the game got dumped after whoever played the game had completed it.
EDIT: Oh well, seems like it ended up in the wrong section :(
Last edited by Litude on 22 Jul 2008 22:45, edited 1 time in total.

kiddocabbusses

Re: Wrong naming in No-intro SNES dat - BS Zelda Map 2 Dai-1-wa

Post by kiddocabbusses » 03 Aug 2008 19:53

I'd also say it's not so much a "Bad" dump as it is a pre-hacked ROM, based on how it plays in the more Satellaview-compatible emulators compared to some others.

It's a ROM that could use that "No Intro" treatment that is common of the GBA carts IIRC.

Litude

Post by Litude » 04 Aug 2008 12:31

Hacked roms are bad dumps.
But to be exact, 90% of the BS-X dumps are probably hacked.

kiddocabbusses

Post by kiddocabbusses » 10 Aug 2008 18:51

I wouldn't put the statistic that high. While it's true there are a lot of hacked Satellaview ROMs, for the most part they seem traceable to a ROM that, while technically unverified, would seem silly to be hacked (Mainly because these ROMs still don't work on many standard emulators, which is what most ROM hacks base their compatibility on. )

For example, the nature of the BS Tantei Club ROMs make me believe they were not hacked. Matthew Callis' recent dumps are not hacks (Although they apparently seem to bring up peculiar questions about Satellaview Checksums...), and BS Zelda Map 1, Week 3's "original" ROM, amidst all the hacking projects around it, does not have anything I see as a hack. (For reference, I compare these with the broadcast videos I have up on my blog.)

On the other hand, the BS Dragon Quest ROM has some odd behaviors (but perhaps not "hack" behaviors... These aren't emulator-compatibility fixes. It makes me wonder whether it's a hack or Debug ROM or what...), the BS Zelda AST ROMs might be bad dumps (or victims of un-cracked encryption made specially for that game.), and the BS Kirby No Omachahako ROMs that aren't Baseball most definately ARE bad dumps (To the point where just looking into the ROMs, you can conclude that important code is missing and the games are unsalvagable in that state, just by looking at them.). On that note though, the BS Zelda Map 2 is pretty much the only one I've notably "Confirmed" that the only known ROM floating around is hacked.

I also heard a story about the very first Satellaview ROM dumper on the internet, but I have not been able to pry out from the person who told me this story what ROMs this person would be associated with (The person apparently has poor memory and doesn't realize that the first week of BS Zelda Map 1 is -still- not dumped yet. Probably confused it with the third week.) If I could figure these out, I could use this as reference to see whether most ROMs were "Clean" or "hacked", though.

(And on the note of "hack vs. bad", there's a notable difference in technical terms there, but I'd rather not debate it as the point is meant to be that the ROM is not the "clean" ROM.)

BTW, is the BS F-Zero 2 ROM still mislabeled?

NGEfreak
High Council

Post by NGEfreak » 13 Oct 2008 10:02

No, the title of the F-Zero dump is not corrected yet. I can't find the related post. Can you repost the correction, please?

kiddocabbusses

Post by kiddocabbusses » 18 Oct 2008 20:35

To summarize: I do not believe that the ROM going around is Dai-1-shuu because of the videos here:

http://satellablog.blogspot.com/2008/05 ... ero-2.html

Which show a BS F-ZERO?????2 ?1? which, while similar, is different and contradicting of that ROM.

I suspect that the ROM going around is actually "BS F-Zero 2 Practice", but I do not have as much backup or proof for that, so for now I'd just label it "BS F-Zero 2 (Download Version)"

kiddocabbusses

Re: Wrong naming in No-intro SNES dat - BS Zelda Map 2 Dai-1

Post by kiddocabbusses » 27 Apr 2012 14:15

I just figured I'd bump this thread, because I just realized it'd be a -great- idea to make sure we have a good track of what Satellaview ROMs have been redumped and verified.

Here's a list of ones that either Callis or ikari have redumped that turned out to have either;
a) Have data identical to the circulating ROMs (Exceptions for minor header differences)
or
b) corrupt dumps that "fix" into a state like a) above.
And as such I'd feel safe to consider them "verified good".

This will not list redumps such as "BS Kirby no Omochahako - Hoshi Kuzushi" in which the initial dump circulating was obviously bad.

Most of the re-dumps are available on Satellablog if needed.

In order of from what I'm remembering them in. Names shortened for my convenience because it's 9 AM and I'm groggy:

1) BS Fire Emblem Palace Kanryaku (also implicates other BSFEs as good)
2) BS Tantei Club Kouhen (Implicates other BS Tantei Clubs as good)
3) Yoshi no Panepon (OVER AND OVER AGAIN)
4) Zelda no Densetsu: Kamigami no Triforce
5) Kaizou Choujin Shubibinman Zero
6) Panel De Pon Event 98 Version
7) Sutte Hakkun Event Version 2
8) Sutte Hakkun Event 98 Version
9) Gambler Jiko Chuushinsha 2 – Dorapon Quest.
10) Let’s Panchinko Nate Gindama 4.
11) Cu On Pa SFC