Journey to Tokyo - contributors?

Post information about undumped games here.

Moderator: SonGoku

KingMike

Re: Journey to Tokyo - contributors?

Post by KingMike » 20 Oct 2013 00:23

I can't imagine a significant interest in copying an obscure game (at least not more than the usual level of game piracy). I've heard different reports on whether the game itself is rare (I know one collector said it's one of the most common games to find on NP carts, but I don't know about MaskROMs).

BigFred
High Council

Post by BigFred » 20 Oct 2013 00:37

I posted in the wrong thread :oops:

BigFred
High Council

Post by BigFred » 26 Oct 2013 17:10

I'm back home - I will report about my journey tomorrow 8-)

Oh - Go-Net is safe :D Was a nightmare thinking about customs all the time with this game in my pocket. :whistling:

BigFred
High Council

Post by BigFred » 27 Oct 2013 13:09

Ok here is a little report of my journey.

Actually I was going on that trip only by myself but on the plane I met a nice guy from Pakistan now living in Norway and he had only a few days so we decided to explore the city together. There is no real center as we know it from european towns but there exist several agglomeration areas mostly around train stations with a lot of shopping malls and restaurants attracting the crowd.

All those areas have a very unique mood. Some districts feel very polished and high end like Chiyoda (imperial palace and more), others like Asakusa (my hotel) feel a bit more oldschool with smaller houses and a more "old-town" atmosphere with many nice restaurants and a touristic place around a temple area (some Geishas around too ;) . Everywhere you find over the top bright and colorful places to shop or just watch. A visit of Akihabara is just fun at it's best. Unfortunately some former gameshops have been turned into different locations e.g. Maiden cafes. However the moment you enter Super Potato makes you feel you entered a portal into a different dimension. Arcades everywhere and lots and lots of Anime and merchandise.

Japanese just love Pachinko and Karaoke. When entering a Pachinko hall you almost become deaf. Just insance volume in there. Crazy stuff. And they admire weird plush figures and Manga stuff all around. Doraemon, Anpanman, Totoro, Kiki (lots of Ghibli-stuff) are present nearly anywhere. And yes - everyone is playing games. In the subway, on the street - no limit. And they love very weird music.

I did a boat tour on the Sumida river. Very beautiful to stand on the top in the evening surrounded by Tokyo at night. Same goes for going up the Tokyo Skytree which is the 2nd highest building in the world. A very interesting national museum shouldn't be missed as well as the fishmarket and many very beautiful parks. You can also do some interesting trips out of town if you have some time left.

Unfortunately it was getting dark so early you were always in a hurry to see some places in daylight - a little letdown to the journey. But the weather was pretty nice. The only exception was the taifun which hit the island Izu-Oshima I actually planned to visit for a daytrip. You heared about what happened. Very sad indeed.

I also confirmed the button on public toilets imitating the sound of flush (and heated toilet seats!) as well as the guys pushing people into the subway at peak times. The worst is probably the Yamanote line which goes in circles so you can reach several important places faster than using the subway. Everyone wants to go to work or wherever with this line.

So what to eat? Beakfast is very different to european standards. Hardly any bread. Mostly salad, vegetables and fruits, fish, rice, soup, eggs with sausage, frozen tofu and whatnot. At least there is coffee. And even "coffee to go" which I thought was a german expression only but I stand corrected. You get used to this - just like you get used to eating with chopsticks. Avoid meat in restaurants as their understanding of this term is different than ours. With some bad luck you can also order pig feet or gizzards. Fortunately most restaurants have a vitrine or at least some pictures of the food they serve. They really know how to do fish and noodles. Vegetables are also very recommended like sweet potato - tasty stuff. Lots of good sweets around and I also recommend buying some of those lunch boxes with a lot of variety inside. As for sake - I prefer the plum wine which is really good. And you will encounter lots of Oolong tea. Very funny are those people advertising restaurants and shops by standing in front of the entrance and shouting all the time.

Ticket system for subway etc. is a bit stupid since there are two companies sharing the network and you will have to pay twice when switching from one line to one of the other company. Finding your way can be hard as there are only few street names. You have to understand the "Chome" system to find the right place. Another annoying thing is the lack of trash cans. You can easily carry around your empty bottles for 30 mins or more.

I searched for some plush toys like the rabite from Seiken Densetsu or Godzilla but the former was only produced around 2006 I think and Godzilla is only available in New York. Bad luck here. You will find mostly stuff from Mario games and Animes.

I cannot describe Akihabara. You will need many days to go through all the games you find. It's impossible if you are not living in Tokyo or nearby so I had to stop. It's also pretty expensive at times but looking for cheaper places throughout the town is also impossible with so little time. I just grabbed some things I found while randomly checking all the stuff they have. It's an experience for every gamer or fan of manga, electronics and weird stuff. I even found a manga-style car.

Fashion can also be quite different at times. You can see people in classic Kimonos walking round the streets or you can find some weird hair colors.

Can you communicate with Japanese people? With few exceptions this is hardly possible. Even at the hotel they have some experts they call at times. They know very little english and sometimes you feel quite lost. Fortunately I'm practising Japanese since few months. Funny enough this helped me a lot more than English in certain situations. A bit sad because you learn so little about people and their life.

All I can say is everyone who can afford it should do such a trip. It broadens your mind and it's simply a lot of fun. I already decided there will be a Journey to Tokyo - part deux.

BigFred
High Council

Post by BigFred » 07 Dec 2013 14:01

The Pacman re-release version has been dumped a few days ago by bootgod.

http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/profile.php?id=4708