SNES PAL Spider-Man badly dumped: PAL games need redumped

Post information about undumped games here.
C. V. Reynolds
Datter

SNES PAL Spider-Man badly dumped: PAL games need redumped

Post by C. V. Reynolds » 11 Sep 2016 17:33

https://twitter.com/byuu_san/status/773974628439994368

This is "Spider-Man - Venom - Maximum Carnage (Europe)" from the SNES section. Byuu is redumping PAL cartridges now and found this very quickly. This is clear evidence that other PAL (and maybe some in the Japanese set too) could potentially have been badly dumped and hacked to correct the checksums afterward. Unfortunately, this means we should treat every ROM from the Goodsets as potentially being bad unless a reliable dumper has verified otherwise. :(

I'll fix this example in a moment.

EDIT: Fixed on DOM. I hope there aren't a lot more like this. Regardless, it's now clear that ROMs from the Goodtools sets can't be assumed to be good even if they're listed as verified. This Spider-Man game was listed as verified in GoodSNES, for example.
Last edited by C. V. Reynolds on 11 Sep 2016 23:34, edited 2 times in total.

HardcoreHubz

Re: SNES PAL Spider-Man game badly dumped, needs redump.

Post by HardcoreHubz » 11 Sep 2016 19:40

If anybody has carts they would be willing to send me to verify I could lend a hand. Of course I would return them as well. I only have a few SFC unfortunately but will check them in the DB to see if they need verification.

hydr0x
Dumper

Re: SNES PAL Spider-Man badly dumped: PAL games need redumpe

Post by hydr0x » 13 Sep 2016 16:53

C. V. Reynolds wrote: EDIT: Fixed on DOM. I hope there aren't a lot more like this. Regardless, it's now clear that ROMs from the Goodtools sets can't be assumed to be good even if they're listed as verified. This Spider-Man game was listed as verified in GoodSNES, for example.
This is nothing new, GoodTools have always been a pile of crap. But don't fret, this will be an exception. Most of the PAL library has been redumped by trusted dumpers. In fact I think I (re)dumped 50-60% of it on my own.

dreimer

Re: SNES PAL Spider-Man game badly dumped, needs redump.

Post by dreimer » 13 Sep 2016 18:34

HardcoreHubz wrote:If anybody has carts they would be willing to send me to verify I could lend a hand. Of course I would return them as well. I only have a few SFC unfortunately but will check them in the DB to see if they need verification.
I have a bunch of PAL SNES games. Where do you live?

Vigi

Re: SNES PAL Spider-Man badly dumped: PAL games need redumpe

Post by Vigi » 17 Sep 2016 07:20

2 questions:

- Did anyone report this to cowering yet? IIRC he always idles on IRC somewhere

- Are all the [!] goodtools dumps currently marked as verified in the no-intro verifications csv?