Dumping Hardware for Carts

Post all database contributions here.
dizzzy

Dumping Hardware for Carts

Post by dizzzy » 26 Jun 2018 18:28

So I'm potentially in the position to dump some undumped SNES protos, what hardware will give me a PERFECT dump? Does Retrode 2 do perfect dumps?

I'd also love to beef up the No-Intro wiki with BEST hardware suggestions for PERFECTLY dumping older carts, expert opinions are appreciated. In particular I want to know what hardware will PERFECTLY dump carts for systems like NES, etc

KingMike

Re: Dumping Hardware for Carts

Post by KingMike » 28 Jun 2018 03:29

Assuming it's nothing unusual, Retrode could dump if it has manual ROM type settings, as unless they're identical to final, protos usually don't have valid headers which dumpers depend on. (I wonder if expecting valid headers is what instigated the sequence of events that damaged the Estpolis II early beta cart.)

dreimer

Post by dreimer » 05 Jul 2018 19:21

Terrible story indeed... I strongly recommend to send the carts to someone who knows what he is doing. Doing otherwise killed one very important Beta dump FOREVER. You can still find it, but it had to be hand fixed and thus is not a clean dump anymore -> no entry in no-intro.

If you KNOW what you are doing and you are 100% SURE that you do: Retrode or a SuperNT with jailbreak firmware are two options. If things go wrong regarding size or ROM type, you have some ways, but I still recommend to not even try it to do that by yourself.

Collecter

Post by Collecter » 13 Jul 2018 05:41

dreimer wrote:
05 Jul 2018 19:21
Terrible story indeed... I strongly recommend to send the carts to someone who knows what he is doing. Doing otherwise killed one very important Beta dump FOREVER. You can still find it, but it had to be hand fixed and thus is not a clean dump anymore -> no entry in no-intro.

If you KNOW what you are doing and you are 100% SURE that you do: Retrode or a SuperNT with jailbreak firmware are two options. If things go wrong regarding size or ROM type, you have some ways, but I still recommend to not even try it to do that by yourself.
Which beta

PPLToast
Dumper

Post by PPLToast » 14 Jul 2018 16:20

dreimer's referring to KingMike's mentioned Estpolis Denki II proto. But let's not get into that story.

I've been wondering about dumping hardware myself too. Is like sanni's cart reader better than a Retrode? What would be the best of the bunch for all kinds of exotic carts? I'd assume people would prefer sending invaluable carts to "trusted" dumpers.