[NES] To-do

Post all database contributions here.
Post Reply
Vigi
Posts: 126
Joined: 18 Jun 2008 10:16

[NES] To-do

Post by Vigi » 21 Oct 2018 20:27

And plz add these new dumps:
Life Force (USA) (Rev A) [NES-LF-1] (Matches Virtual Console, not yet added)
Tiger Heli (USA) (Rev A) [NES-TI-1] (Rebuilt from other ROMs, not yet added)
Rockman 4 - Aratanaru Yabou!! (Japan) (Rev A) [CAP-4V-1] (Matches Virtual Console, not yet added)
Last edited by Vigi on 22 Oct 2018 18:49, edited 1 time in total.

Vigi
Posts: 126
Joined: 18 Jun 2008 10:16

Re: [NES] To-do

Post by Vigi » 21 Oct 2018 20:51

Does anyone actually have this one? Rockman 4 - Aratanaru Yabou!! (Japan) (Rev A) [CAP-4V-1]

I checked a virtual console ROM, but I got a different checksum (F5B0). The correct checksum should be F5AC according to the sheet.

Vigi
Posts: 126
Joined: 18 Jun 2008 10:16

Re: [NES] To-do

Post by Vigi » 22 Oct 2018 17:37

I was able to rebuild Rockman 4 by taking the first 3 128kb segments from the Virtual Console dump and the last segment from the normal dump. The third segment contains the revisions, the other ones are identical to the original release.

Some hashes:

<rom name="Rockman 4 - Aratanaru Yabou!! (Japan) (Rev A).nes" size="524288" crc="d5967246" md5="71ba52ca380e6cd17d682ce77a4594a6" sha1="7559cad7f66f26a571777522bda3f0099d7ade3c"/>
Untitled.png
<rom name="Life Force (USA) (Rev A).nes" size="131072" crc="4061d767" md5="8937de8b0357f51450916d41ae80b86b" sha1="797ac9a12fbd232bf3e1e0f14caca5562acdc1c2"/>
untitled2.png
<rom name="Tiger Heli (USA) (Rev A).nes" size="65536" crc="16abbcf7" md5="78d64de5d37536c4d9b4e96ae8cb7e92" sha1="8ca042b8462210495010d944a762195de3b2f9f0"/>


Bases Loaded (USA) (Rev C) - this one is identical to (Rev A), except it has the CHR * 2. So it's essentially an overdump and shouldn't be added?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

relax
High Council
Posts: 693
Joined: 27 May 2008 17:52

Re: [NES] To-do

Post by relax » 22 Oct 2018 21:49

Vigi wrote:
21 Oct 2018 20:51
Does anyone actually have this one? Rockman 4 - Aratanaru Yabou!! (Japan) (Rev A) [CAP-4V-1]

I checked a virtual console ROM, but I got a different checksum (F5B0). The correct checksum should be F5AC according to the sheet.
The ROM extracted from 3DS virtual console has the checksum F5AC, unmodified apart from removing the TNES header. The file name CAP4V1A.667 hinted that it was rev. 1 even before the master sheet became available.

More on this subject:
viewtopic.php?p=20132#p20132

relax
High Council
Posts: 693
Joined: 27 May 2008 17:52

Re: [NES] To-do

Post by relax » 22 Oct 2018 22:01

Vigi wrote:
22 Oct 2018 17:37
Bases Loaded (USA) (Rev C) - this one is identical to (Rev A), except it has the CHR * 2. So it's essentially an overdump and shouldn't be added?
I wouldn't consider it an overdump if it's made that size by Nintendo. If we find it in the wild (from a cart) we should add it. I'm not sure if we should add it at the moment.

KingMike
Posts: 393
Joined: 22 Sep 2012 16:36

Re: [NES] To-do

Post by KingMike » 23 Oct 2018 05:34

It's a shame I wasn't aware to look for this years ago.
Local retro game shops seem to be dying down, and then Bases Loaded was undoubted one of the most common games. One of those games it seem you could walk into any store and find a dozen copies, from my memory.

Hiccup
Datter
Posts: 501
Joined: 09 Oct 2015 11:29

Re: [NES] To-do

Post by Hiccup » 23 Oct 2018 10:53

relax wrote:
22 Oct 2018 22:01
Vigi wrote:
22 Oct 2018 17:37
Bases Loaded (USA) (Rev C) - this one is identical to (Rev A), except it has the CHR * 2. So it's essentially an overdump and shouldn't be added?
I wouldn't consider it an overdump if it's made that size by Nintendo. If we find it in the wild (from a cart) we should add it. I'm not sure if we should add it at the moment.
I think all of these should be added as third party dumps, with the archive marked as "not physical". I'm going to do that now.

User avatar
BigFred
High Council
Posts: 1138
Joined: 22 May 2008 22:42

Re: [NES] To-do

Post by BigFred » 05 Nov 2018 23:00

relax wrote:
22 Oct 2018 21:49
Vigi wrote:
21 Oct 2018 20:51
Does anyone actually have this one? Rockman 4 - Aratanaru Yabou!! (Japan) (Rev A) [CAP-4V-1]

I checked a virtual console ROM, but I got a different checksum (F5B0). The correct checksum should be F5AC according to the sheet.
The ROM extracted from 3DS virtual console has the checksum F5AC, unmodified apart from removing the TNES header. The file name CAP4V1A.667 hinted that it was rev. 1 even before the master sheet became available.

More on this subject:
viewtopic.php?p=20132#p20132
Ototo dumped Rockman 4 from a cart:

https://blog.goo.ne.jp/ototo2006/e/322f ... 6e9dddb67d

CRC is different from the one in DoM. And he says it was also in Pasofami db. Maybe it's still the same checksum16? We need to find the cart or the difference.

relax
High Council
Posts: 693
Joined: 27 May 2008 17:52

Re: [NES] To-do

Post by relax » 06 Nov 2018 01:19

My file extracted from 3DS Virtual Console has the same checksums up to SHA1 as Ototo states. I don't know how Hiccup got a different file.

----| File Data |--------------------------------------------------
File: CAP4V1A (no header).667
Length: 524288 Bytes (4 Mbit)
CRC32: E0FFECCD
MD5: 37C3D522527193928A2C4A9B85AB6C27
SHA1: B6ED268D99655FF9963B054E16696A7A9246D247

Vigi
Posts: 126
Joined: 18 Jun 2008 10:16

Re: [NES] To-do

Post by Vigi » 06 Nov 2018 07:16

The file from Hiccup should be half Rev 0 and one half regular Virtual Console IIRC. All 3 checksum-16 values matched the sheet when I sent him the file. Maybe something got mixed up or the one that you are checking now has different checksums than the sheet?

omonim2007
Datter
Posts: 103
Joined: 20 Jul 2016 12:20

Re: [NES] To-do

Post by omonim2007 » 06 Nov 2018 11:50

I added new dump info to DoM as trusted.
It seems previous one is indeed bad.

Vigi
Posts: 126
Joined: 18 Jun 2008 10:16

Re: [NES] To-do

Post by Vigi » 06 Nov 2018 13:01

omonim2007 wrote:
06 Nov 2018 11:50
I added new dump info to DoM as trusted.
It seems previous one is indeed bad.
Did you compare the checksum with the Nintendo sheet?

omonim2007
Datter
Posts: 103
Joined: 20 Jul 2016 12:20

Re: [NES] To-do

Post by omonim2007 » 06 Nov 2018 15:10

First of all I need to get file ))

But I have no reason not to trust two trusted sources, including ototo.

omonim2007
Datter
Posts: 103
Joined: 20 Jul 2016 12:20

Re: [NES] To-do

Post by omonim2007 » 06 Nov 2018 16:14

I can provide comparing info of this two files (with CRC32 d5967246 on the left and with CRC E0FFECCD on the right):

Image

As you can see we have only 2 bytes of difference at the end of file. The other amount of data is absolutely the same.

Vigi
Posts: 126
Joined: 18 Jun 2008 10:16

Re: [NES] To-do

Post by Vigi » 06 Nov 2018 18:12

The checksum-16's for both files are the same, also if you only take the last segment, despite those changed bytes.
I assumed that the fourth 128kb segment was unchanged from the Rev 0, because it had the same checksum-16.
But now we see that there are in fact 2 modified bytes, which lead to the same checksum-16.
This means that the checksum-16 is pretty worthless and we can't make any safe assumptions based on it.
So all the other 'rebuilt' ROMs could be wrong, if there are in fact some byte changes on the actual cartridge that don't lead to a different checksum-16.

Anyway, I agree that E0FFECCD should be the correct one for Rockman 4.

Post Reply