SNES pirate carts

Post all database contributions here.
Hiccup
Datter

SNES pirate carts

Post by Hiccup » 27 Dec 2018 22:29

I noticed some pirate cart dumps have been added to the SNES dat. While I think these should be datted, it may be a good idea to move them to a separate dat.

omonim2007
Datter

Re: SNES pirate carts

Post by omonim2007 » 28 Dec 2018 09:09

Hi!

I just added a small amount of Pirate games we miss till now (some were added a years ago).
I think there are a lot of others ))

As for Pirate games datting... My opinion - now there is enough mechanisms to separate Unlicensed and Pirate records from downloading in standard DAT, but we can't ignore them using Search tab. I think we need to add some tick at Search tab like "Licensed", "Not licensed" (pirate games always unlicensed too), "Program", "BIOS". So every user will search exactly what he need.

The other very important thing - to add those kind if ticks to exclude "Unlicensed", "Program" and "BIOS" records from downloading P/Clone XML dat.
I don't know really who need those non-game files at all ))

Hiccup
Datter

Post by Hiccup » 28 Dec 2018 13:33

BIOS files are useful for emulation and datamining, for example.

I guess as long as things are marked properly they can be in the main dat.

KingMike

Post by KingMike » 29 Dec 2018 00:17

I still think there should be a distinction between legitimate unlicensed games and bootlegs.

I thought we wanted to avoid say the 9-billion-in-one (with maybe 15 actual games) junk multicarts padding out the Good Tools databases? :P

relax
High Council

Post by relax » 29 Dec 2018 12:10

Here we are talking about pirate "originals", not pirate hacks or pirate multicarts, right? I.E. original games using someone else's I.P. as a front. Pirate hacks and pirate multicarts should not be added to the database imo, as they don't add anything of value, only clutter.

When it comes to pirate "originals", I'm not convinced they should be added to the dat. Where do we draw the line between a pirate original and a pirate hack? It's not always clear cut, as most unlicensed games borrow elements from licensed games. And should games released after the official system lifespan be added? This question also apply to normal unlicensed games.

Hiccup
Datter

Post by Hiccup » 29 Dec 2018 16:13

I think fakes/pirate hacks/multicarts do have some value, but they should be kept completely separate.